Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to check my bank lines this morning and found that I caught two nice channel cats. The lines were going crazy when I walked up to them. I was targeting turtles but am happy with my catch today. looks like I'm having fried catfish tonight!

Hope to get more soon :)

Caught 3 bass under 2 lbs today too!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife beer battered the fillets and cooked cream peas and mac n cheese. Was a awesome dinner before going to work last night. I'm home now and about to check my lines again. I have 6 lines out right now...that's the legal limit for public areas under 700 acres. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I found a trotline in my dad's cabin last week. I'm gonna have to try this out. Looks like it might be fun.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me and my buddy checked the lines this morning and only managed one small channel.:S All lines were stripped of bait except one. I only had 3 decent circle hooks and the rest were ****. So I suppose I need to invest in better hooks.. Also I found steel leaders help a lot. If u hook a turtle,its harder for them to break the line and also works great with channels.

For sum reason the website wont upload the pic.. but I will post it soon.

Cream Peas are awesome and good for you! True story

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Turtlejugger, I put out six lines this weekend at a private pond out in the Batavia area and was skunked. However, I had one line that snap hook on the steel leader I had one was completely straightened out and the 7/0 hook was gone! This ever happen to you? I was stunned. I'm guessing whatever it was was BIG! For this reason, I'm considering giving up the leaders and tying directly to the hook. Do you think this is not a good way to go?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey Turtlejugger, I put out six lines this weekend at a private pond out in the Batavia area and was skunked. However, I had one line that snap hook on the steel leader I had one was completely straightened out and the 7/0 hook was gone! This ever happen to you? I was stunned. I'm guessing whatever it was was BIG! For this reason, I'm considering giving up the leaders and tying directly to the hook. Do you think this is not a good way to go?
your straightened out snap hook was from a big snapping turtle. I have even had them cut my hook in two! like they cut it with wire cutters or something. It was at a private pond and I know nobody else visited the pond while my lines were out. Buy the strongest hooks u can find. I buy off brand circle hooks and leaders for turtles and bank lines. In case I lose them then its not a big deal. I look for heavy duty 7/0 or 8/0 catfish hooks and 30+lb steel leaders for my bank lines. you should still use the steel leaders cuz snappers can use their becks to pinch the line off clean. I take the snap hook off then just use the steel line straight to the hook.

I live in Batavia too. if ya need any help pm me.

I use bank lines more on rivers and large lakes. Then jug smaller country ponds. If its a small pond then just jug it. I never use leaders when I jug and I always catch snappers..They cant get any resistance on the line to break it if its bobbing around and following them!! lol they will drag that jug around the pond till u get there to grab em. The jug wears them out faster and is less likely to brake on u.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts