Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first investment in deep stick baits for Erie was Flicker Minnows. I have caught lots of fish over the past year with them and they hold up well.
I am looking to add another deep runner to my arsenal and decided to try Bandits. This past weekend I bought three bandits and ran them out of Lorain. Of the three, one lost the rear hook while reeling in the first fish on it, the second is a translucent color and filled with water within a couple hours, and the third exhibited more paint loss from hook swing than my Flicker Minnows have lost in over a year of use.
Does anyone else have issues with Bandit durability? I contacted the manufacturer by email and have received no response. Are they really that great or should I go a different direction with my next investment in lures?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Bait Artificial fly Fishing lure Fishing bait Organism
Bait Artificial fly Fishing lure Fishing bait Organism

·
Get the net!
574 Posts
I have been using the bandit deep walleye for 5 years now and really like them.

Only one time the rear hook pulled out like that but it was because i was taking the hook out of big steelhead and the fish twisted in the net. Other than that ive had no issues with them. Never had one fill with water either. They always stay tuned and run straight. The only paint issues ive had is because they catch so many eyes they got teeth scratches on them!

On a side note ive had some rapala husky jerks where the back hook pulled out and the diving lip fell off. I still use them a lot and like them.

You might have just got some bad ones.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The newest most recent ones are made I guatemala, and have not been anywhere near the quality of the ones from last year and before.

reelylivinsportfishing.com

·
Registered
260 Posts
I’ve had the hooks break but never pull out. I see the scratch marks from the middle hook on the ones I run. Thought about swapping that hook out for a single in-line🤔. Never had one fill with water. I have had several Renoskys fill up though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have dozens and I've never seen a hook pull out or fill with water. Must have been a bad batch or switch in manufacturing process. I did buy a bad batch of reef runners ~5 years ago that all filled with water.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate everyone’s input. If anyone else has recommendations or stories, please continue to share. Good luck out there to all of you!

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,526 Posts
I have a ton of old bandits and my initial thought is you got a few bunk baits and maybe some bad luck. I wouldn't let these few deter you from buying more they are great baits. in the spring and fall husky jerks in size DHJ-12 are a must for Erie as well as Reef Runner 800s

·
Registered
642 Posts
Just a week ago a brand new Gender Reveal which was catching many of our fish broke. It came apart on one side on the back & The hook fell off. I Was thinking about calling/emailing them. Seems like a quality problem is a brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a ton of old bandits and my initial thought is you got a few bunk baits and maybe some bad luck. I wouldn't let these few deter you from buying more they are great baits. in the spring and fall husky jerks in size DHJ-12 are a must for Erie as well as Reef Runner 800s
I will probably get more bandits but will explore other options first. I have a handful of DHJ12 and like them well. More importantly, I have caught fish on them. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a week ago a brand new Gender Reveal which was catching many of our fish broke. It came apart on one side on the back & The hook fell off. I Was thinking about calling/emailing them. Seems like a quality problem is a brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck contacting them. I emailed them this past Sunday and have still not received a response from [email protected]. Doesn’t seem like they care. Even emailed my receipt and the picture above.

·
Registered
983 Posts
A note on the reef runners is make sure you are watching the way they pull. They need to be tuned but they catch the hell out of fish

·
Registered
983 Posts
I check them after every fish. You'd be surprised how many run them and dont catch bc they dont tune them. Hold them in the water next to the boat at your trolling speed. Make sure to pull them through the water at a faster speed then your trolling to simulate them pulling faster and harder during turns.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I think the bandit is the best utility crank on Erie. Meaning performs well in near any weather condition. They definitely eat them. Have not had many problems with quality, but they are not perfect. Stick with them, they will become a staple.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The newest most recent ones are made I guatemala, and have not been anywhere near the quality of the ones from last year and before.

reelylivinsportfishing.com
I checked the packaging and sure enough, the ones I have are from Guatemala. Maybe that’s the problem.
It’s been 4 business days and no response from the manufacturer. Doesn’t seem like they want my business. I know lots of folks said they are a staple but my boat may become a bandit-free zone if they don’t at least apologize. Would be even nicer if they sent a couple replacements though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts