Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was posted on the dispatch online today. Just wanted to let everyone know. It would be really unfortunate if this went through.

City considering crackdown on night fishing in parks
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:02 PM
By Doug Caruso

The Columbus Dispatch
Columbus officials are contemplating a ban on night fishing in city parks after receiving complaints that people are taking advantage of a loophole in the law.

City parks are closed from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m., but the loophole allowed people to continue to fish through the night. Legislation the Columbus City Council is considering would allow police to eject or arrest anyone in a park after 11 p.m. whether they're fishing or not.

Councilman Zach M. Klein is holding a public hearing on the proposal at 5:30 p.m. today at City Hall, 90 W. Broad St.

Lisa Grazier, president of the Friends of Westgate Park and a member of the Greater Hilltop Area Commission, said she and others in her neighborhood have been seeking such a change for several years.

They noticed people coming to the park after dark with cast nets and taking large numbers of fish from the pond in Westgate Park. Others used a fishing pole as an excuse to camp or party in the park, she said.

"Last weekend, somebody was there using a cast net," she said.

Columbus Recreation and Parks Director Alan McKnight said there have been reports of nighttime netting at other city parks, including Schiller Park in German Village.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And so the few using cast nets will ruin the freedom for those abiding by the law. Rather than cracking down on the wrong doers it is easier to remove the law abiding citizens from the equation. Amazing how a few ignorant people can ruin things for everyone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the scary part about this kinda legislation is the future precedence it sets. First it is parks in the city, next you cant fish at local reservoirs from banks then the waters are closed to boaters.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yes..here is one of them. 2 white males using casting nests to pull any fish they can out of City of Columbus parks. One casts and removes fish from the net and places in a 5 gallon bucket. When that gets full the other carries to the truck and puts in a bigger holding tank. I personally saw fish no bigger than 2" being tossed in there. Take a look at the left side of the truck...huge white container. Maybe they are being used for a pay pond in Madison County (49 on plate). I have confronted these men before and they pretty much told me to mind my own business and to f*** off. Calls to the ODNR and they refer me to Columbus Police. Police police come and say "what am I suppose to charge them with?" I give them fishing regs for reference and they tell me "We have murders, rapes, and robberies and dont have time for fishing violations." If you see this truck "fishing," call the authorities. Maybe someone will take action.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
This kills me. They don't have the resources to enforce current law, but they have the resources to create another unenforceable law.

I guess it will be nice for the netters to fish uninterrupted by non-criminals. :S

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
Yes..here is one of them. 2 white males using casting nests to pull any fish they can out of City of Columbus parks. One casts and removes fish from the net and places in a 5 gallon bucket. When that gets full the other carries to the truck and puts in a bigger holding tank. I personally saw fish no bigger than 2" being tossed in there. Take a look at the left side of the truck...huge white container. Maybe they are being used for a pay pond in Madison County (49 on plate). I have confronted these men before and they pretty much told me to mind my own business and to f*** off. Calls to the ODNR and they refer me to Columbus Police. Police police come and say "what am I suppose to charge them with?" I give them fishing regs for reference and they tell me "We have murders, rapes, and robberies and dont have time for fishing violations." If you see this truck "fishing," call the authorities. Maybe someone will take action.
Why not send a copy of this to your local TV stations as well as your City Council Presidentand follow up a couple days later if you are not contacted.
Be sure to make it personal and include your phone number. I'm sure their would be a response if all the members in the Columbus Area would take the time to write.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I thought you were not aloud to fish antrim @ night ......Always wanted to try it ......Also I see poeple all the time at westgate with cast nets....They are after the shad population I dont think you are aloud to use a cast net in city parks.......I could be wrong .....If they are gettin bait, it dont bother me none ....

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
The intent is to have public parks closed after dark. I think this is a good thing.
But, it seems there is a loophole in that law that allows for fishing in the parks after dark. Yet, they want the parks to be closed at dark.

So what? Let them close the loophole. Is that really that big of a deal?
There's no larger plan to start banning night fishing all together or anything else. No ulterior motive here.
They just want public parks to be closed after dark...completely closed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
According to 10TV the law is specifically targeted at parks located in residential areas, and would not include places like Antrim Park or reservoirs.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...w-ending-overnight-fishing-parks.html?sid=102
I just talked to folks at R&P and they read the draft to me. This would NOT pertain to lakes, rivers, streams, reservoirs. They've had this clown ripping off all of the fish that kids and older people fish for in some of the small City parks for over a year. He takes them back to feed his pay lake or sell as bait. They needed someway to stop this and therefore this is an attempt to save the fish for the kids, who aren't fishing at night anyway (curfew). Sounds like a step in right direction to us.

Long Barbels

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Good idea it seems. I read the title and thought Hoover Griggs and Osh and immediately felt sick to my stomach lol.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
166 Posts
The details to me are a little sketchy, but didn't they actually ban fishing after 11pm at Griggs and Oshay about 25 years ago. Correct me if I am wrong, but Mayor Reinhart was on vacation when it happened and threw a fit when he came back. BTW: I am only 32 so cut me some slack if I am a little off. I remember it as a kid.
USMC, I see you are keeping up on the local politics from DC. Good to hear from you.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Someone needs to put their smartphone (they are smart enough to do video, right?) to use and get some evidence against these scumbags (assuming what they are doing is illegal as opposed to just morally wrong). Make sure to get a clear picture of their face and then walk around the parking lot and video the plates of all vehicles. Send it to NBC news (chris Hanson will catch those gill predators lol) and let them do the rest. They love that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hatfield my job here is so easy... i have maybe 10 hours of "work" a week, the rest is spent trying to find fish in my new area and reading up on the news. By the way, OGF is far superior to VA-outdoors.com everyone should be extremely happy they have it available to them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've seen this exact same thing happening at a boat ramp but I don't think it was illegal...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Didn't the city install cameras in high crime areas in hopes it would deter the crime? Why not invest in some cameras and have them installed to keep eyes on the parks even when they are closed?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts