Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a beginner does it make any difference whether it is a bamboo rod or graphite?

Would a longer or shorter rod be used for a beginner or really does not make a difference?

What do the long time fly fisherman think?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Since you're a beginner, I would stick with a grafite rod. It will be easier to learn on and more forgiving than bamboo. I have an old bamboo rod that I like to use but, they are quite a bit heavier weight wise than the grafite, and more fragile. They don't handle abuse well.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
go with graphite
not because cane doesnt cast well, it cast beautifully, I just wouldnt recommend starting on one. they are expensive and fragile, they also have very slow actions(they bend down to the cork). this means they need a different casting style, frankly faster rods make it easier to power through casting mistakes. slower rods take a little more feel, and better timing. this is a mixed blessing with beginners, slow rods while they can be a little more tedious, I personally think will teach you a "proper" cast a little better, and they load deeper making the feel a little easier for some. on the other hand, I like fast rods, I feel that I can fish more aggresively with them, and that in my hands, they are more adaptable than slow rods(probably because of flaws in my cast). they also are great for begginers because you can pick them up, overline them one size and within a half hour of instruction, most anyone can throw a 5wt 40ft+.
this is alot of info, probably got a bit more in depth than was needed but I hope it helps, in the end like I said go with graphite for now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Graphite if for no other reason than price. Whatever you do and whatever you buy, please test cast the rod first. In fact go to a shop that will let you test several rods and maybe give you a lesson. Rods are very individual things. Riverking likes fast rods and I like medium-fast or what they now call "progressive action", a slower speed, but lightyears faster than bamboo or fiberglass.

As a first rod, my suggestion would be a 5 or 6 wt. that is 9 feet long. If you can, check out the TFO Pro series and/or the Orvis Clearwater II series of rods. These are in the $150-200 range. There are rods 1/2 that price that will absolutely catch fish. Good bamboo starts about 5x that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts