close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ball bearing swivels?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by WLB, Dec 7, 2004.

1. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

Does anyone use any other ball bearing swivel than Sampo on thier spinnerbaits? I use alot of 1/8 -1/4 oz spinnerbaits and it takes a good swivel to let the blade turn. I make a few of my own baits and have tried a few that never work as well as sampo, just lookin for something with a little lower cost, and thought by now someone cut the cost on a quality swivel? Thanks

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I've used both kinds of swivels on spinner baits. Last year I started using Crane swivels and haven't had a bit of problems. I made over 100 spinnerbaits this year with out a problem. The only problem I've had with bearing type is the Northern pike break them easily. Not sure why. That's why I tried the Crane type. So far so good. Besides they are about 1/2 the cost and work as well for me.

3. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

I use a ball bearing, Sampo type swivel I buy in bulk from either of 2 companies; Hagen's or Worth. They run about $200/thousand. They have been good so far. Like Dale, I also use the Crane style at times. They are a good alternative, being much cheaper than the ball bearing and much better than barrel swivels. I sell the Crane #10 Nickel swivels for $34/thousand if anyone is interested.

4. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

Thanks for the tips.
    I've used Janns swivels, some in the hundred worked some were crap. I checked out those crane swivels and may give them a try. Does anyone know what kind of swivel the strikeking spinnerbaits use? I have a couple that spin good.
    I like using #3 colorado, fished slow and a sampo seemed to be the only thing that was consistant. I'm just messin around lookin for differnt ideas :)