close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bald Eagle?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by toad fisher, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Was Fishing On Lake Logan With My Kids Last Week And We All Saw A Large Bird With A White Head Come Down And Take A Fish Out Of The Water. We Were Not Close Enough To Tell For Sure But We Thought It Was A Eagle. Was Wondering If There Were Eagles In That Area? Thanks For Any Help.

2. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I'd believe it because they're making a pretty big comeback lately. I saw one where I live only a few weeks ago (70 miles east of Columbus on I-70). Supposedly some states are even thinking about taking them off of their endangered species lists. Great to hear though, they're such awesome creatures and the symbol for our great country.

3. I was in alum last tuesday and I saw one then I called odnr and they told
    that there is a few of them nesting in alum and they slowly are making a comeback form the great lakes down to central ohio........

4. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

Bald eagles are making a huge comeback across the continent. I was in Alaska last month and saw hundreds. I have also seen some in northeast Ohio.
    Endangered species are regulated by the feds, not the state. Bald eagles were removed from the endangered/protected list a few months ago after nearly being wiped out 35 yrs ago. See news release.........
    http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/issues/BaldEagle/FINALEagle release.pdf
    Brian

5. JBJ

JBJ

I've seen one up at Clearfork the last couple times there this year. It actually gives me a good feeling when I see one.

6. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I saw one gliding over the Scioto just north of Griggs dam about 3 years ago, man those things are HUGE!

7. I'm sorry to say I can't find my pictures but last spring I got some good shots of an eagle on one of my father-in-law's fields. That field floods every spring and some carp and other fish get caught in the small pockets of water and are easy pickens for the eagles. I'll keep looking and post them when I find them.

8. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

We see them about every year for the last 5 years on Paint Creek (creek) around Bourneville. I saw one on Sunday that was immature. It did not have the distinct white head yet, but have brown spots throughout. It was still huge. We were packing up camp and getting ready to shove off in the morning to finish our float and it swooped over the creek and then disappeared over the trees. Sometimes we will see the same one several times throughout the day as we float down stream and spook it from a tree. It will just go down stream a little and perch back up in a tree. They are an amazing bird. We are lucky to have them around.

9. Last duck season we would see one very regularly on the Scioto near Circleville. Spoke with the Warden and he indicated it was part of a nested pair that resides locally.

10. I saw one at Paint Creek about 10 years ago. Anyone ever see any around Deer Creek?

11. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

They have been strong in Ohio for years. About three years ago I quit counting how many I had a seen and at that point I had seen over 30 different bird in different locations. I've seen as many as three at a time on three different occasions, once at Tappan, and twice at Dillion. I've also seen them at Saltfork, Berlin lake, Buckeye lake, Killdeer plains, just to name a few. All you really have to do is get outside in the fall and keep an eye to the sky, specially around large bodies of water.

12. Mosquito as well-----This past weekend!! Its awesome to see em....

If I remember right Fishin4Five and I were out at Salt fork and an eagle was trying to snag a baby duck out of the water....Then from nowhere a crow came to the rescue....that crow was crazy....Crow 1---Duck 1--- Eagle 0---------

13. PatSea

PatSea

My wife and I were coming in the West Harbor channel by boat this past May and there was an eagle in the top of one of the trees right along the channel. Couldn't believe it let us get that close to it. What an awesome sight!

14. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Never seen one.
    Looking forward to the day I do.

15. EE

EE

since they tend to return to the same nesting area (and nest), it might be the same one that I saw flying along the scioto river at the beginning of this summer while driving along Riverside Drive.... couldn't believe my eyes.

16. Micro_Mini_Angler

Micro_Mini_Angler live-2-fish

i saw one nesting i think near Mount Vernon, outside of it a bit but in the area, it was an amazing sight, i am glad that they are repopulating here in ohio. i had goosebumps from head to toe when i saw him man.

17. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

Hey Guys,
    I'm not a bird expert, but I have seen several Osprey in the Springtime at a few places I fish in Fairfield & Perry County. Do you think what you're seeing are Osprey?

Gignpig out...