close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bald Eagle question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stretch, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

I realize I could problaby find this info out on the web but wanted to ask here and see if anyone can tell me if Bald Eagles migrate? I co-worker has some property near Marysville, he is building a house, well why he was there this last Friday he saw a bald eagle. It was watching a coyote that had just gotten a rabbit. He said it sored around and then landed in a tree watching that yote the whole time. So my question is do eagles migrate or could this one be holding up on his property?...Stretch

2. "Some fledgling eagles wander in a wide range their first few years. Some return to their origin, while others do not. Only the young eagle knows if this is a conscious decision or if it simply loses its way."

"Adult bald eagles begin fall migration when the northern lakes and rivers freeze over. Depending on location, they usually migrate to the coast or large rivers near dams, where the water remains open. Wind currents play a large roll in determining their flight pattern."

http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/eagle/eagle10.html

3. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Eagles will also travel many miles in a day in search of food. If there is a lake or river in the general area, it could have it's nest there and your friend just happened to see it while it was out and about. BTW I saw a pair of eagles on my float on Paint Creek last week. The nest was in a huge sycamore tree down stream a few miles. Some of the sticks that they used to build the nest were huge and it was probably 5-6ft. wide. We did a little float and hunted squirrel. Got three big fox's. !# Missed more than that though.

4. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

Are They Really Migrants?
    Some biologists do not consider or characterize bald eagles as true "migrants", preferring to describe their movements away from and back toward their breeding territories as "seasonal movements". This is because almost all bald eagles only move away from their nesting areas as far as they need to to survive, meaning in order to find the food they need to survive. A great many bald eagles (i.e. along the coasts and in more temperate areas like the southeast U.S.) never leave their general breeding areas because they don't need to, and remain there year-round.

Eagles from some areas, however, like the ones we are studying that overwinter in New York State, do have to leave their nesting areas because they totally freeze up in winter and the birds cannot find enough food to survive. Thus, these birds "migrate", but even then depending upon the severity of the winter, they may not follow the same path each year or even go to the same areas each year. For instance in a very mild year, an eagle that moves 1000 miles down to New York to winter from Labrador Province, may only need to move 400 miles to the St. Lawrence River, if they find much open water and food available there. So, keep in mind that bald eagles are not necessarily fixed "migrants" like many other species of birds, that move based upon other cues not related to food availability.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/eagle/WeatherNye.html

5. After posting those excerpts I did a little more reading and I'd have to agree with you Krusty. That site I quoted must be talking about Alaska or N Canada where they have large numbers of bald eagles.

6. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

I've seen them here in the dead of winter, eating fish trapped in the ice. If they do migrate, it isn't too far away.

7. We have a nesting pair right by the lake by my office, right here in Columbus! Its pretty cool to see them flying around and catching fish out of the lake.