close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baitrunner/Freeliner Spinning reels?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Fastlane, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

I have been considering buying a few of these type reels to replace some of my cat/carp gear. For the last few years I have been missing a lot of fish (esp. carp) and I believe it is due to the fish feeling the resistance from the clickers on my bait casting reels. The fish seem to pick up the bait, run 3 feet or so and drop it. From the loooks of these reels there is little to no resistance on the run and it would also seem that you could use less weight to cast a spinning reel vs a bait casting reel without backlash troubles. I have seen some of these type reels with bait alarm (audible and visual) which would be a plus but not 100% necessary. Any of you out there make any good recomendations? Cost is somewhat limiting (I can't afford a $150 reel right now) so I am looking to spend about $75 to $100 per setup including the rod which is likely to be a BPS CatMaxx rod or similar. Thanks for the help.

2. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

If it is a spincasting setup, I would recommend a Rhino Rod combo. It has a 7'-0" MH rod with a Zebco 733 (I think) reel that comes pre-spooled with 20 lbs test line. It is about $30-$40 from Walmart and it does pretty well for the dollar. And you are right, the spincast does cast pretty well without the worries of backlashing or extra weight on the line.

3. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

No, I am looking for a spinning reel with the free spool function. Some mfgs call it baitrunner or freeliner. It is alsoms like leaving the button pushed on a spincast except there is tension adjustment on it to keep wind/current from taking line but allows the fish to pull line freely without resistance.

4. soua0363

Hmmmm...I haven't seen those type of reels but its maybe I have not really looked for them. I wish I knew what you were talking about though. I am always up to learning.

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

The tidewater is a good real for the money, so is the cheaper Okuma Corrida baitrunner spinning reels.

6. I just got the Shimano Baitrunner 3500B, I really like it and I've only heard good things about it's durability and reliability.

7. soua0363

Thanks Fastlane! I never thought they make them type of reels for spinning outfits. I will have to look at one of those the next time I buy a rod/reel set.

8. I'd stick with a shimano 3500 or 4500BTR