Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
live-2-fish
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i decided to get my baitcaster out for the first time in a few months and, well lets just say it wasn't pretty, i really need some more practice before i get them out on the water this year. i was really good but i guess the long winter made me forget. So, any tips on brushing up would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
just get youself a practice plug and head to the back yard!:)

·
The one others want to be
2,220 Posts
Sell it and buy a Stradic. :D

UFM82

Best advice I can give when it comes to baitcasters...

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
Save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

Peel out as much line as a fairly long cast and then just 10 ft more. At this point put a piece of masking or duct tape on the spool over top of the remaining line on the spool.

Now as you are learning all of those nasty backlashed will only be in the loose line above the tape. This makes getting them out much, much easier and even helps prevent them.

Once you become proficient with your reel and your ready to fish there is no reason to remove the tape. If you ever get a big enough fish to take out line it will just peel the tape back.

I did this with my fathers baitcasters in his later years and it all but eliminated his problems.

This won't teach you how to cast but it will make the backlashes very quick and easy to remove.

Good luck

·
The one others want to be
2,220 Posts
That's a great tip. I've never thought of that. Sometimes the obvious stuff just gets by me...

Serious tips. Tie on your lure, weight, rig or whatever it is you're going to cast. Adjust the spool tension so the weight wil JUST pull line off the spool. The spool should stop quickly when the weight hits the floor. If you have centrifugal brakes, leave all of the brakes in the reel at first. If you have a magnetic reel, turn it all the way up and work down from there.

I bought a couple of Curados years ago when I had the baitcaster bug, learned to cast them fairly well and never used them. I can do most everything with my spinning rods that baitcaster guys can do so I don't bother with them. I do like the Curados though- smooth reels for the money.

UFM82

·
Lucky Fisher, or skilled?
1,887 Posts
Micro asking for baitcatsing tips! kinda shocked ya had that down last year with no problem. just get back out on the water and use it. ya will get the hang of it again. remember i was rusty my first trip or 2 with it but after that im casting like a pro again. (well not like a pro lol)

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Remember not to point the rod right at the target like when casting a spinning rod. You have to cast up a little more and catch more air. Since you're casting upwards everytime casting into the wind is usually where you'll incur most of you're backlashes. Don't try and cast too light of a lure or weight on a baitcaster either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts