Baitcaster Rod

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Columbusslim31, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

I got a Daiwa baitcasting reel with 5:2.1 retrieve and 5 ball bearings and flipping switch a few weeks ago, (for an UNBELIEVEABLE price) and I'm wondering what's the best rod to purchase. I'm primarily a spinning man so the baitcaster will most likely be used for pitching and flipping. I may get into using it for cranks and spinners, but right now I use my spinning outfit for that. Any info would be greatly appreciated

2. Congrats on your purchase! For pitchin/flippin I'd go with at least a 7ft medium to medium heavy. I use ST. Croix Avid series and custom made R&B rods, but if your looking for less expensive i'd try Guide Series Titanium or a brand you're comfortable with. I would take the reel with me to the store and see if they will let you attach the reel to different rods for comparisin before buying. If money isn't an issue, and you know what you want in a rod, definitely go with R&B Custom Rods. Send me a PM if you want his contact info. Hope this helps.:B

3. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

For flipping and pitching, I prefer a stiffer rod with a moderately fast to fast action tip. I like to use a 7'-6" heavy action rod. To me when using a softer rod to pitch or flip, the tip tend to bend down and more or less sling shotting the bait out and causing backlashes. I am also more accurate with the stiffer rod. Right now, I am using a Bass Pro Extreme Woo Daves 7'-6' heavy action flipping rod and you can get it on sale now for $64.00...normally $100.