close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baitcaster or spinning reel for worm rod???

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Geo71, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Hey guys got a question? I'm looking at getting a med All Star 7' rod for worm fishing and I was wondering what do you guys think should I go with as far as a reel goes should I go with a baitcaster or a spinng reel whats your guys take on it??

2. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

It all depends on what you are most comfortable with using. I use both and I find it easier to worm fish with a spinning rod because I can use light line and I can fish the worm weightless. My worm rod is a 6'-6" medium spinning rod with a 2500 series reel using 10 lbs test line. I am not saying you cannot use a baitcasting setup to worm fish because others have done it and are doing it. I am just more comfortable using a spinning setup.

3. If money is an issue.... A decent spinning reel is usually cheaper than a decent baitcaster. If money isn't an issue I much prefer the baitcaster. A good baitcaster can easily cast weighless worms.

Also its important to consider where you fish. Bank fishing or wading with alot of overhead snaggs sometimes means you need a spinning reel to make awkard casts. If your fishing primarily from a boat, a baitcaster allows more accurate and softer casts. Along with the ability to use heavier line if you need to.

4. Ultralight

Ultralight Crupi Wannabe

My preference would be spinning. Are you sure you want an All Star though? If so, go with the Platinum - I doubt you'll regret it.

For my worm fishing, I like my St Croix 66MF2 Premier/Daiwa Ondine 20 combo. Ideally I'd prefer a 1 piece but the 2 piece is working well. I like to work 10 pound Suffix braid for sensitivity. I mainly fish rivers. If I were fishing from a boat and slopping the shoreline, I'd have a high quality baitcasting setup.

I'm not as experienced as many baitcaster fisherman with BCs but I'd have a birdsnest with a weightless worm sooner or later. I'm working on it though......

5. Well heres what I was thinking I already have 2 st croix 6'6 meds one witha baitcaster and one with a spining reel I was thinking of getting the 7' rod med for casting the light worms and baits thinking the extra length would get me a longer throw also thinking I could doubble it as a small cranking rod. I figured the 7' med would mostly be used in open waters or near weeds or cover not directly in the stuff. I have a 7' med heavy Triumph rod that i figured would be good for casting and getting the fish fromt he weeds and cover. So does this sound like a decent set up so far? Oh yeah I fish 99.9% from a boat and the inland lakes.

6. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Sounds like you have a good idea about what you would like to do... and that's great. I was not sure about my new rod a couple weeks ago, but it turned out awesome.

I owned a 7' 2-piece Med-Heavy Shakespeare rod that I cannot find anywhere now. I broke it in half (falling into the boat) and searched everywhere to buy a new one. Money was a bit of an issue for me... so I went with the Shimano (cant remember series) that has the Fuji brand guides at Dicks Sporting Goods. I should mention that this is on a spinning rod. The new rod is 1-piece, 6'6", Med-Heavy, fast tip. I have taken it out once, and cut my missed fish incredibly. Only missed one good bite in about 4 hours... that would have been 6-8 fish missed on my old rod. All were on Texas Rigged Finesse worms w/ 1/32oz weight.

I'm not too good with a baitcaster yet, so I dont know about throwing weightless worms. Seems to me it would be easier on a spinning reel.

7. Well Ithink I will go with a spinning outfit for the 7' rod now I was thinking of the All Star 7 med but as I was looking at it it seemed like the handle was huge on it, So i'm not so sure I want to go with such a huge handle any suggestions of a good 7' med rod other than St croix. I'm looking at 60-70 $ price range unless anyone has used the All Star rod and has some imput

8. ive always thought that shimano makes a good rod for the money. The clarus should be in your price range.

9. jmenchhofer

jmenchhofer 'eye addict

I've got a medium heavy Lightning Rod (easy on the wallet) that I bought specifically for fishing weightless worms. It has a 2500 series Daiwa reel on it (hopefully to be replaced with a Shimano in the near future). Casting is a breeze, and it has all the backbone you need for a solid hookset when fishing a texas rigged worm. I've fished with a guy who casts weightless worms w/ a baitcaster, but I'm more than happy to take the easy way out with the spinning outfit.

10. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

I'd go with a baitcaster over a spinning reel any day. They are much more sensitive and allow you to feel the line much easier. Casting weightless worms I'd setup a good baitcaster with a 6# diameter braid to add a few extra yards and it is also great for throwing into heavy structure with enough line strength to pull them out. I throw a Diawa Viento (which is purely amazing) paired up with a Falcon Original MH 6'6'' rod, and 6/20 power pro. I'm not much of a fan of putting weights on a worm unless fishing somewhere like Florida where you would need it to get down and through the hydrilla beds. I fish ponds in the summer for bass and don't need wieght just more feel, and have had great luck with my setup.

11. Geo, I bought my first Loomis rod about 4 years ago and have never gone back to anything else. I use their drop shot model for tossing shaky head, drop shotting or really light worms (it's a spinning rod) and then I use a 6'5 GLX spinning rod to toss senko's and such. They are really pricey but they have a lifetime warranty so if you take another spill in to the boat you can get your rod replaced for the cost of shipping. I think I have 6 of their rods now, the two above, a flippin stick, a med-light crankbait rod, a long walleye trolling rod and I just picked up a musky/pike rod which is going to get broken in a couple weeks from now up in canada (at least I hope it is). They will hurt the wallet quite a bit but the sensitivity is unreal! Good luck and I hope you like what ever you end up with

12. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

New to the forum but I echo the Loomis rods comments you can't beat the sensitivity. The benefit of having a longer rod is it helps take some of the shock off your line which can allow you to use a lighter line. As far as reels go I think it's a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer the spinning over a baitcaister especially if they are right handed and prefer to control the rod with their right hand. I prefer the longer handled as you can get the handle into your body allowing for greater leverage and less stress on your wrist and forearm. Good luck

13. I know about the Loomis rods I picked up a med lite attye sportsman show a few years back got it for a crazy low price think I paid 120.00 for it nrmaly it was like 2 something. yes they are nice rods indeed. I plan and updating the lower end rods tha i have now this winter. I have some nice rods and then there are some that could be replaced with somethig alittler better

14. i have a team all star rod and love it i am thinking of going with all star across the board one other rod that i really liked for that was the bps extremei go medium action for worms with fast tip that fast tip really helps i only use 8 lb of fireline and it works flawless