Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the wife its asking me what type of dishing stuff its rather have then whatever else she might think I want. I was smart enough to tell her if rather have a babysitter and a date night put with her. However, she told me to make a list just in case the babysitter don't work out.

My first and only baitcaster is an Abu Garcia SilverMax. I absolutely love it, can't complain at all about it. However, it's the only one I've ever really used so I lack any ability to compare.

I get stick in the details and researching, which I like, but don't have the time right now.

I'm looking at Lew's, Abu's, and Diawas. I need a left hand retrieve, which matters because some of the reels I liked did not come that way.

I do not have a brand preference, and would love to know if BPS, Cabela's, our another big name had a store name reel that was just as good as a higher prices reel. Would also like a reel in the 7.1:1 area.

Lastly, I'm not going to spend too much. I would like to stay under $150 but would like suggestions that are still in the area.

Thanks for any help!

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

·
Registered
464 Posts
Try the Johnny Morris Signature Series Bass Caster from BPS, $139 now, but they go on sale often. They come in high speed retrieve as well, in left hand. I have the left hand retrieve, and sold all my other higher end baitcasters, it casts like a dream, smooth as butter too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My only baitcaster is the silvermax as well and I too love it! Why not stick with something that you love and have her get you another silvermax and a great rod? By the way, happy birthday!

·
Registered
466 Posts
my suggestions...

revo s- under your budget but does not come in 7:1
revo sx- $10 over your budget but does have 7:1
shimano curado- you won't be disappointed, in your budget

all come in lefties... I use LH reels also, even though im right handed. I have two revos, an S and an STX and a curado, its really hard for me to pick a favorite out of them three.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just my2 cents as a reel repair guy, bass pro and cabela's brand reels can sometimes be difficult to get parts for. Abu's revo is expensive to fix. Seeing alot of failed anti-reverses with the revo. about $60 to replace. Lew's come out of the same factory as the revo but haven't seen to many in my shop. If it was me i would buy a shimano or daiwa. Stick with one that has an aluminum frame. The more metal the longer it will last and hold up better,especially if u use braid.Parts for shimano's and daiwa's are usually reasonable and easily obtainable.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Picked up a Shimano Citica from Buckeye Outdoors for 129. A nice Sellus rod came with the reel for free.. I think the gear ratio is 6:5:1... Left hand retrieve. Used it a couple times since I have gotten it and Im happy with it. Might even go get another one. The Shimano Sellus rod is pretty decent.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
My only baitcaster is the silvermax as well and I too love it! Why not stick with something that you love and have her get you another silvermax and a great rod? By the way, happy birthday!
What he said.

And happy birthday!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would ask for a Lew's tournament pro. They retail at $199 and are worth it. However if your willing to look at ebay there often priced about $140-150

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I don't understand why you're not looking at Shimano reels. Unless you just have something against them. The Citica mentioned earlier is a great reel..... the price even makes it better. The left handed version does only come in 6.5:1 but there isn't that big of a difference in retrieve speed between a 7:1. The Curado comes in 7:1 in the left handed version. It's a great reel as well. I have both Curados and Citicas and they are awesome reels. The Curado is a little over your budget, but the Citica is well within your budget.

Here is a link to a Tackle Tour review of the Citica..... http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanociticag200.html

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Save your money and get a $150 or better reel. I was once using $70 baitcasters (abu garcia silver max and black max.....bps reels...etx) and one day I made the decision to see if a 150 dollar reel was worth the extra money. WORTH EVERY PENNY. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

My reel of choice was the shimano curado. I liked it so much that I had to see what its bigger brother was like....the chronarch. I love that reel.....literally love it. Dont tell my gf. :D

Higher dollar reels cast smoother, further, cast lighter weight, cast into the wind better, etc. They make fishing trips way more enjoyable. Also I have noticed that the amount of flare ups or bird nests I have...have decreased to almost none. When you do get one it wont be as bad either.

My advice...save up another 50 bucks and try to get into the next tier of reels.

The curado is 160 I think....the chronarch is 199.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies guys. To the poster that asked why I want looking at Shimano.... I wasn't ignoring them, and will keep an open mind.

As far as silvermax reels go, I love mine, however, I'm getting good enough to notice it's limitations now. Mostly with regard to lure weight, casting, etc. I want a reel that can throw a weightless plastic father than mine..... Wind kills that reel as well, sure out will cast in some wind but gets too finicky too fast. Out will still be my fall back though.

Right now I think I will look into the Lews, curado, and the STX, and at least use them as my base line.

If so many people like those reels then they have to be a good reference, right?

I have rods covered! I've found a guy that really knows how to make a great rod. I have one now and would like to eventually get 3 more casting rods. Best of all, I like them better than any production rod I can find but they cost less than I'll spend on my next baitcaster!

Thanks again to all, and if you have more suggestions,or info regarding the reels mentioned, please let me know.

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

1 - 13 of 13 Posts