Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start if off I'm from the East Coast. NYC and I'm used to ocean fishing with Squid and other nasty items the bluefish enjoy. I moved to Ohio a few years back , tried lake and river fishing a few times with no luck . I'm gave it another shot and This past week I tried fishing off the banks at Buckeye lake. I was in one Area on the south end under a bridge. The fish were literally jumping out of the water but no bites!. I guess i'm probably using the wrong bait. I was using night crawlers for 2 hours and nothing. What bait should i be using ?

sorry to sound like a noob but I basically am!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Chicken livers work well at buckeye for wipers and catfish. I would recommend that you leave your reel in free spool. We caught cats and wipers from near fairfield beach on the south side last year.

If you are putting two poles out you could put a shiner or sucker on the other one with a slip float. Or, you could use a floating jig head with a minnow or crawler on it to keep the bait a little bit off the bottom. There would of course be a heavier sinker rigged slip sinker style in front of the floating jig head. The problem is that minnows don't live long with the high water temps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chicken livers work well at buckeye for wipers and catfish. I would recommend that you leave your reel in free spool. We caught cats and wipers from near fairfield beach on the south side last year.

If you are putting two poles out you could put a shiner or sucker on the other one with a slip float. Or, you could use a floating jig head with a minnow or crawler on it to keep the bait a little bit off the bottom. There would of course be a heavier sinker rigged slip sinker style in front of the floating jig head.
thanks much. Ill give that a shot this weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Liver catches alot of Bullheads and occasionally a channel, fishing on the bottom of course, would love to catch a wiper but in about 15 trips havent caught one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts