close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bait Tank?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mushijobah, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Do any of you fisherpeople have a system or an idea for keeping live bait...well..live. I have trouble transporting bluegill and shiners to my catfishing destination. I transport it by truck and boat. I have been using a large blue cooler with an aerator. Any ideas?

2. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

A couple of years ago I bought one of the "Cool Minnows" aerated buckets from Cabela's. I have the smaller of the two sizes. Does an excellent job on minnows. I had them live for three full days in the bucket before I threw them in the garden. The larger bucket may be more suited for your type of bait.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

mushi,if your areator is big eneough,try adding some ice in a milk jug,and maybe even oxygen tablets.this heat is a killer on bait.

4. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

I think that would be a good idea. I dumped a few cups of ice into the cooler last time and I think that did help. I will try the milk jug method next time so the fish do not get shocked by the cold.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

a mil jug works pretty good.with these 90 degree temps,it's hard tio keep anything alive.the oxygen tablets would help too,as the heat will deplete the oxygen more.changing water occasionally,if you can, will also help.

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Misfit showed me a neat little setup of his at the Ohio River a few years ago. I took a regular cooler and screwed a boat bilge pump on the bottom. Took some 3/4" clear PE tubing and connected it to a 2' length of pvc pipe. Screwed the pipe to the lid and drilled 3 holes so the water would pour out into the cooler. The pump wires connect to a 12V car battery.

I'll take a picture and post tomorrow.

7. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Something a little easier. Buy a MinnowMiser @ BPS. It does not blow warm bubbles it spits cool mist over the container of your choice. I have never lost a minnow when using it. Simply amazing. I have had one for 5 years and I need a new one now. It has been abused on the creek too many times. Only costs 15 bucks and you run it off of a 6volt battery. I also bought the AC adapter to plug into the wall when at home. One 6v lasts about all summer. Trust me you can't go wrong. I like it b/c you can use whatever container you want.

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ah,you still remember that huh lewser :D
    the bilge does make for a good areator.500 gph pump and little pvc is inexpensive and gives plenty of areation.
    i've kept as many as 20 crappies in mine for a day.

mushi,i don't know what type areator you have,but if it's one of those little portables with a stone,it could possibly be to small also.

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

The bilge system sounds nice, I would like to see how it looks. As for the cool mist thing, do you have a link? Thanks.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

here's my bait cooler.i just threw it together and didn't get to fancy,but it does the job for about 15-20 bucks.i'd like to see lewser's too,cause it probably looks a little better.
    just drill a few holes about 3/16" in the horizontal bar,or cut some slots in it,and cap off the end.

[​IMG]

11. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I kept appx two dozen bluegills alive last weekend while fishing for appx 10hrs, just used a five gallon bucket and a portable aerator

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

That was a MR BUBBLES. It was $25 @ Bass Pro, runs off 2 D size batteries, w/ Alkiline batteries it is suspose to have 80 hours of run time, but I also bought a different one @ Gander Mtn, a Rapalla one. It was only $10. It too seems to work well.

13. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Mine looks pretty much the same. Been busy the last two nights. I try to post a pic tomorrow. You need to add a concave screen in the flexible tubing. That way any fish poop, weeds or algae won't clog the small holes in the PVC.

Kept a couple dozen bluegill, creek chubs and shiners alive for many hot summer weekends with that setup. A trolling battery will run the bilge for over a week with no problem.

14. H2O Mellon

What am I doing wrong then? I have an areator that uses 12 volt, but will kill a tractor battery in two hours? Should I be using a deep cycle battery even for the aerator?

15. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Using a tractor battery.
    How many amps is your aerator pulling? What is the reserve capacity or amp hour rating of your battery? A deep cycle is made for low long time current discharge. Tractor or car battery is made for high amp, short duration discharge.

16. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

lewser,the screen is a great idea.lots of stuff gets in the water,and with no filter on the areator,it doesn't take long to gunk up the spray bar.if a guy wants to spend more money,a regular areator pump works better,as they have a removable filter.

bryan.
    lewser's right.deep cycle batteries will perform much better than a standard battery.
    i think my 500 gph pumps draw no more than 3-4 amps.

17. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The bilge pulls 1.5amps.

[​IMG]

No Misfit. It's not any prettier than yours. This is an old cooler my parents were going to throw out.

[​IMG]

bait tank

[​IMG]

My 15 year old battery. Finally almost died this summer. Won't run the trrolling motor anymore but fine for low draw accessories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could drill 2 more holes but that hasn't been necessary. The only thing I'd do different is use a plastic cooler because the metal one is heavy and the rust on the bottom gets on the boat carpet. I would also use flexible, corrugated (correct term?) tubing so I don't get the kink at the sharp bend where it connects to the CPVC pipe.

18. H2O Mellon

Bravo Men! Thanks a ton. I have changed to my trolling motor battery, pump has been working going on 24 hours now!

19. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

great,bryan.should get plenty of run time now.
    i was off a little on the amp draw :confused:
    thanks for posting it lewser.i was too lazy to look at mine :rolleyes:
    another idea i had was to check on the small battery packs made for fishfinders and attach it to the cooler for lightweight portability.just not sure how long it would run the pump on a charge.