close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bait recipes

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jayjc77, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Okay, with the heated discussion of carps going on (or tapering to an end) I thought I would bring this up.

I have always managed to catch a few carp while fishing bottom with a crawler, or even more recently with cicadas. After seeing the emotions in the posts and the pic of the giant carp, I've had an awful itch to go after carp specifically.

Dough Balls - I've heard of them, read about them, and I have even made a hopeless attempt to make them by using livers and Grandma's "dough". Dreams were cut short when all I would do is sling it off the hook.

Would anyone be willing to help me out and post a few doughball recipes?

Thanks,
    JC

2. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Take a handfull of wheaties cereal and dunk it in some lake water. Pull it out fast and sqeeze all the water out of them as you can. Then roll them into a ball and mold it around your hook. You can also add flavors to it like vanilla or bannana but they work fine plain also. I use eagleclaw gold #2 hooks, but alot of people use smaller than that. :) Hope this helps

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I think there's plenty posted in the Carp forum........click here...

4. If you want to use something like liver in a doughball there are two key things to remember...one is to grind up or puree the liver so it blends well with the other ingredients, and the other is to use enough of a binder to account for all the liquid added by the liver. Binders can be different flours, bread crumbs, crushed wheaties or other cereals, etc. Also, for other simple doughs you can use shredded wheat, rye crisp crackers, oatmeal, and cornmeal among other things. Vanilla or anise extract, jello, and koolaid are all good flavor additives that can be easily purchased. And don't forget...plain old sweet corn right out of the can is usually a tough bait to beat.