Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going down on Saturday to try out my boat and fish the stocked trout, to Jefferson state park in Richmond. Anyone know of a close bait shop and their hours? I understand there's options in Stubenville but that's also another 20 minutes past the lake and that cuts into fishing time. Were driving down from Mahoning county. We know there is a shop near highlandtown wildlife area that sells minnows but that is still an hour or so north of the lake. I know people can not advertise so feel free to message me if that is an issue for you. Thanks for any help.

Also I'm new to the forum. It looks informative and fun I have a feeling I'll be on often.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
What "bait" are you looking for? I don't know of any minnow selling shops that actually have any in stock. Maybe the little store in Stratton across from the New Cumberland dam on the river? I'd ask in the Ohio River forum... those guys have a bead on every bait shop around.

Also, have you ever been to Jefferson? The ramp is kinda tricky to get any sizable boat into the lake. (Just asking based on you profile picture)

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I live in stark co. I buy my minnies at berlin lake ,keep them for couple days. before I go fishing. freeze couple water bottles put one in the minnie bucket with a aeriator and the second as a spare. they,ll be just fine .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What "bait" are you looking for? I don't know of any minnow selling shops that actually have any in stock. Maybe the little store in Stratton across from the New Cumberland dam on the river? I'd ask in the Ohio River forum... those guys have a bead on every bait shop around.

Also, have you ever been to Jefferson? The ramp is kinda tricky to get any sizable boat into the lake. (Just asking based on you profile picture)
Looking for minnows. Another member mentioned stratton maybe well try them. Or the higland town shop. And no we've never been to jefferson. Were taking the boat in my picture. :/ yikes! Is it to shallow to launch or what issue do you see with bigger boats? Mine is a 15 ft glass boat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We're going down on Saturday to try out my boat and fish the stocked trout, to Jefferson state park in Richmond. Anyone know of a close bait shop and their hours? I understand there's options in Stubenville but that's also another 20 minutes past the lake and that cuts into fishing time. Were driving down from Mahoning county. We know there is a shop near highlandtown wildlife area that sells minnows but that is still an hour or so north of the lake. I know people can not advertise so feel free to message me if that is an issue for you. Thanks for any help.

Also I'm new to the forum. It looks informative and fun I have a feeling I'll be on often.
Very small lake more of a jonboat trolling motor lake. better get minnies on the way

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very small lake more of a jonboat trolling motor lake. better get minnies on the way
We've launched a boat this size on bessemer in pa, and its similar that most people fish in john boats or kayaks/canoes. We have the troling motor ready and battery charged up. What issues are there with the ramp? I did notice it looks long and single lane.

·
If your gonna be stupid you better be tough
561 Posts
I really doubt you even need your boat or anything other than some power bait trout bait. Just sayin, it's a really small lake. But if boating is your thing, go for it. I've never even bothered with mine to catch trout there. I've not been there for years but doubt it's changed much if at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really doubt you even need your boat or anything other than some power bait trout bait. Just sayin, it's a really small lake. But if boating is your thing, go for it. I've never even bothered with mine to catch trout there. I've not been there for years but doubt it's changed much if at all.
It's just a chance to get it on the water and try it out we had plans to go to bessemer, pa (we go every year) and i had just traded for the new boat so its a trial run for the boat and us.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
It's an electric only lake, but no problem having a gas motor on your boat as long as you don't fire it up. The upper half of the lake is really shallow. You can float it, but you'll probably stir mud with your trolling motor. The lower half is actually fairly deep, and the water is normally fairly clear, but we've had a lot of rain so it will be somewhat dirty. The ramp is very flat and shallow until you fall off the end of it. I launch an 18' aluminum bass boat on it regularly. When I'm alone, it's tricky. And I usually end up with a wet foot or two putting it back on the trailer. If you have a buddy that can dump you in and park the truck while you pull over to the dock, you shouldn't have much trouble. You'll just have to back the trailer in more than you would have to on almost any other ramp in the world. Lol. Good luck! A friend of mine caught his 5 trout in about 20 minutes today, and he said he didn't have much company. You should have a pretty good day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's an electric only lake, but no problem having a gas motor on your boat as long as you don't fire it up. The upper half of the lake is really shallow. You can float it, but you'll probably stir mud with your trolling motor. The lower half is actually fairly deep, and the water is normally fairly clear, but we've had a lot of rain so it will be somewhat dirty. The ramp is very flat and shallow until you fall off the end of it. I launch an 18' aluminum bass boat on it regularly. When I'm alone, it's tricky. And I usually end up with a wet foot or two putting it back on the trailer. If you have a buddy that can dump you in and park the truck while you pull over to the dock, you shouldn't have much trouble. You'll just have to back the trailer in more than you would have to on almost any other ramp in the world. Lol. Good luck! A friend of mine caught his 5 trout in about 20 minutes today, and he said he didn't have much company. You should have a pretty good day.
Thank you for the advice and the good news on the ramp and the Lake we're going to head down shortly I got to pick my buddy up in Columbiana County and absolutely he can back it down the long ramp and pull out and park while I drive over to the dock. Thats normally our method anyhow. Tight lines. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dock was very shallow. Has a tree under it too, And other than the wind blowing me off the trailer bunks we didnt have much trouble. Buddy got a wet foot I Just had to rerun onto the trailer and compensate for the wind. It was fun to watch the ramp though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We caught our limits fast, but took our time throwing back littler ones. We had one limit kept and about noon or so the biting slowed down so we quit being picky and had our limits by 2 ish. And a crappie too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heard there were several boats there this am. One small Jon boat w 4 guys in it, don't know how it stayed afloat!
I think 3 or 4 boats, even a guy that only brought a 9.9 or had some issue im not sure he paddled it onto the trailer, and nearly rolled it off the trailer i think. We watched them bicker. It was a nice day but some fun to watch people. Our trailer dropped a tire off the ramp but was not a big deal to pull up and over.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
The only thing id do different is find a better road in from lisbon/ higlandtown for the bait shop it took us through brushcreek (i think) on gameland roads that where gravel/rock/dirt/hills and ruts. Darn near jeep trails in spots.
Yeah... next time follow 39 back down to catch rt7 in Wellsville. I know exactly where it took you... and it's no place for a boat trailer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts