close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bait in the river?

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by antlers8893, Aug 5, 2007.

1. do you have any luck with creek chubs or blue gills? or is there another bait i should use to catch flatheads?

2. Champion188 Elite

Champion188 Elite Smallie slayer

Both will work just fine,but you have to keep the gar from finding them first.
    Gar seem to be everywhere this year and have been a pain when using live or cut bait.

3. i like live chubs, curled chubs, and chub heads. i do pretty go with war mouth to

4. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Skip jack live or cut, shad, bull head along with the other mentioned. the skip jack is probablly the prevelent the ohio. If you can locate a school throw a cast net and keep them alive, You can also use a multiple rig with small white bucktail jigs to catch them by rod and real. THere is a name for these rigs but it escapes me. Something like hibatchi, or kilbasa or egg fu young or something like that. S

5. Cheesehead Cory

Cheesehead Cory Displaced Person

"Sabiki" is the word you're looking for.

6. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Thanks chees. I new it was something like that. S

7. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

Caught a small one recently on cut sheephead, but that was a last resort. Ran out of bluegills.

8. Slabs!

Slabs! Multispecies Journeyman

Chubs, bluegills (any sunfish), suckers (my favorite), and goldfish (the bigger, the better), will all catch catfish. If you're looking to catch channel cats, I prefer liver, big ball of nightcrawlers or big minnows/shiners. Cut bait of any kind works too! I would say vary your presentation and you will get the results you are looking for. Just have to experiment a lil' bit.

9. another skipjack rig is called a "piscatore" Same thing as a sabiki but half the cost. We caught some fingerling Hybrids trying to get some bait for some folks on Sunday with the rig so it looks like one of the states did some stocking:D