close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bait feeder spinning reel

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by flathunter, Apr 7, 2004.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Here is a spinning reel I just recently purchased, The Okuma Corrida br65..Holds 225 yds of 20-lb test..I have fished with it several times and I am convinced it will handle just about anything I can catch..I will use it as a combination cat and Carp reel..One thing I have noticed is that with only 2bb, this reel is just as smooth as my Okuma epixor eb65 which has 10bb. Price around 45bucks.

Attached Files:

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Jack, I just looked at this reel @ Dicks today. They had a combo for $59.00, but I didnt want the rod. If my Pinnacle dela doesnt work out I may go this rout. I also looked at some Okuma's at Fishermans Qtrs in Dayton. Some were in the $42. range.

3. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I got the BR50 off Ebay for $40 bucks. Plan on useing it for carp. ;)

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Flat,

Nice reel. The chick has one for her carpin' endeavours as well. 2BB reels are fine. Shimano Baitrunners are 3BB reels and they will hold up for years. I personally feel the more the BB, the less stress on each BB......allowing your reels to hold up for more years with proper care. Dunno......might just be my imagination. :) Hope to see some fish pics with that reel this year! :)

5. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Bidding on one of these on Ebay right now.

6. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I agree 100% with Shawn...Epixors all the way.

Scott

7. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

I agree with Shawn as to the longevity of the Shimanos. I have sold some of the Okumas and really like the way they are made and their pricing but they haven't been around long enough for me to see whether there are any long term problems. If they perform as good as they look and feel they should give Shimano a run for their money over time. FYI, one of my main gripes about reel manufacturers is their using the number of ball bearings as a selling point. There are only 3 major stress areas in a spinning reel. Ball bearings in these three places are necessary for true quality. Anything more than three in a reel is overkill. Sure, the reels with 9 or 10 BB's feel smoother and that's great but it doesn't add to the strength or performance enough to justify the rise in cost. Put in a thirty cent part and raise the cost by ten or twelve dollars and claim "ours is better than theirs". A reel made with quality materials, with a good ball bearing at each of the three major stress points, is optimal; more than that is advertising hype.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I've always wondered why is see brand of reels I;ve enver heard of, sayign 10BB & selling for $30.00

9. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

One reason for that H2O, is that all ball bearings are not created alike. Like everything else, there are quality ball bearings and trash ball bearings. Stick with the brand names and wait to buy newcomers till they are proven. Tica is an example of a company that is proving themselves to be a manufacturer of good equipment as time goes by.