close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bait Casting Line choice

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by bdneth, Sep 21, 2005.

1. bdneth

bdneth

What is the best line for a bait caster? simple enough.

Here is what I am looking for: Bass angling, looking for 14 to 15 lbs test, with low memory and sensitive.

I was fishing with 14lb mono Trilene and a rattle trap and could not feel the thing vibrate until it was with in site from the boat.

Does braid do any good on bait casters? Would I be better off with a stiffer mono (to prevent backlash)?

2. Well this is a topic that spawns many long debates on what is best. But I think what it boils down to is personal preference and what technique you are using.

You asked whether braid does well on a baitcast and my opinion is that it is best on a baitcaster. It casts great and has almost no memory and nearly zero stretch. Believe me with braid you will feel the rattle trap no matter where it is in the water.;) I love using it for heavy power casting (large spinnerbaits and heavier plugs for pike). However I am kind of torn on using it for crankbait presentation. The lack of stretch can actually be a drawback once a fish is hooked as it has nothing to absorb the head shakes. I find that I lose more fish after hookup with braid all the way to the lure. Because of this I sometimes tie a short leader of mono (about 15 feet) for a shock absorption. I do have one baitcaster that I leave as mono and often I use it for crankbaits as an alternative to a leader. On crankbaits you will get good depth from the lures with braid because of its smaller diameter in comparison to mono. However in throwing soft baits or anything that you are sinking the bait you will get less sink from the line because it is more bouyant. For this I like to add a mono leader or better yet a flouro leader as it is even more dense than mono.

If you decide to go with braid you will want to make sure that your rod is a good match for it. I would suggest something with a very soft action (slow action) to compensate for the lack of cushion that you are getting at the hook-end itself. Also keep your drag set lighter because it does not take ne the line travel to set a hook with braid. You will need to adjust your hookset as well and abandon the monster hooksets because that will not work with braid. The hookset will be only an abrupt upright snap of the rod.

As you can see braid requires some different considerations and hardware. I find it very effective in many cases but not all. I would suggest giving it a try and form your own conclusion.

3. I forgot to mention the specifics of the line itself. I personally prefer the Power Pro brand over Spiderwire and Fireline. However I know a lot of folks are just the opposite. I think for the line test that you are after you can find it in 15# but the line diameter is only that of 4# mono. I have heard some comments about certain reels not faring well with braid for whatever reason. I am not sure whether a line that thin in diameter would be a good fit on all baitcasters. You keep in mind that you can go on up to 20 or even 30# and still be at only 6-8# diameter. I think many of the guys who use it for trolling cranks run 30#.

4. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

i use the spiderwire stealth on all of my baitcasters... love the stuff and you can feel everything

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I really like the power pro i have 2 curados with 12lb power pro on them and one with 12lb mono on it.

6. Soft tips can handle braid and copolymers...0 stretch

Sensitive graphite rods needs the shock absorption in the line.... MONO...
    you may get by with a copolymer.... but you are risking losing fish as you decrease your shock absorption.

This applys mainly to crankbaits... lower percentage baits.

Spinnerbaits and jigs have big bites and you will rarely lose a fish.

While we are on this subject... has anyone used Silver Thread AN40?

What kind of stretch does this copolymer line have?

7. I am using florocarbon on my baitcasters and I love it for both worming and crankbaits. It is not good for poppers or other surface lures as it sinks. But it is very sensitive and abrasion resistant plus it is invisible in the water. It is not limp like mono but I find no need for a limp line with a baitcaster.

8. bdneth

bdneth

Seems like I am going to go with braid on the next setup.

My next question then revolves around braid line and knots. Is the knot strength still there in the braid or do you have to use knot glue or something comperable to hold the knot?

Also, anyone have issues with Abu Garcia Ambassadur (spelling?) with the braided line.

9. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

I like to use braided line for heavy cover but be keep an eye on it around anything abrasive. It can weaken and break on you. When you tie on new lures consider cutting off about 4 feet of the line that may be damaged.

Mono for top water applications. It floats and cast well. If you have the tendency to jump the gun on your hook sets then the stretch will help keep you from jerking the lure right out of the fishes mouth.

Co-polymer for crank baits. I use a lighter action rod and find that Co-polymer offers just the right amount of stretch combined with sensitivity. Gamma is the best Co-polymer I have found. Fluorocarbon for soft plastics and shallow water applications where fish might be spooked if they see the line. Triton Bill sold me on this as Lake Erie. The water has become so clear that the fish will notice the little things.

Fluorocarbon is the best for clear water applications. With Bass fishing there are so many different presentations that it pays to have different rod types spooled with different line. It makes a big difference in the number of bites you get and your hook up ratio.

10. I can't address the braid on Ambassadeur reels question as I don't use that reel.

The knot that you will want to tie is the palomar. It is a very easy knot to master and has very good knot strength. Some other knot types will slip on you but the palomar will not. The only time I use glue is when I am tying a leader to mainline.

11. Apparently you werent listening. It is not that simple. What kind of rod are you using? Be specific as to action/taper. If in doubt, I would stay with mono.

12. JBJ

JBJ

On my baitcasters you will find Stren Magnaflex for action lures such as cranks and spinnerbaits. For pitching plastics, I prefer no stretch so I use Power Pro braid. Both cast like a dream and fantastic abrasion resistance.

knot = palomar always

13. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I like 14lb P-Line for my jig setup.

14. I use 10lb mono on my diawa baitcast

J

15. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Cranks get 10lb P-line flouroclear

Tubes, spinner baits, etc get 12lb P-line CXX

Jigs get 17lb P-line ultra-vis or CXX

You can't beat it.

I don't use superline and I never will. Many different reasons, but the first is it is not environmentally sound.