Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new bait caster reel. I cannot cast at all. It is a 7’ medium heavy fast combo.
Trouble is I get a lot of birdnesting and I’m having trouble casting straight. It is like there is not enough braking causing birdnesting and too much braking causing casts not to run line straight.

Could too light of line or bait cause this?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
There’s a good chance there are some settings that can be improved, but there’s also a learning curve with them. There are some good videos on Youtube that go through how to initially set up a new reel and then how to fine tune from there. After that it does take some practice. I usually start with 75% of the centrifugal brakes off, then adjust the tension knob so the bait slowly drops when free spooled, and the spool stops when the bait hits the ground. I’m not the best with them but that usually works for me, then tweak knob tension or magnetic control when/as needed.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Medium heavy rod is not my first choice for learning., as it will be hard to cast straight. Just learn to cast first. Straight will come..10# is fine. tie on a sinker, say 3/8oz. set free spool so when the spool is released, it will freefall and stop spinning without the thumb when the weight hits the ground, (no birds nest).
put a target in your hard and just practice using thumb to stop it just over the target. You will figure out the fine tuning as it comes with confidence. You'll get it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts