close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bad News From Doc

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CPTN.CROWN, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Well went today to see a Pain Management Dr. My back has just been getting worse since i hurt it in April. Ive recieved 2 epidurals with steroids that didnt help much. Then therapy wich only made me worse. They decided that surgery was my only option :( Today i found out that before surgery they have to do a procedure that will tell them exactly what disc needs repaired. There are 3 hurniated and degenerative disc's. Im 27 years old :( So next Friday they are going to stick needels into each disc and inject die. Then do a cat scan to see where the fluid is leaking. Once those results are in Surgery will be within 72 hours. So its real strong pain killers and muscle relaxers to get me thru. And the occasional shot of Crown :eek:

So looks like ill be down untill October. Not going to rush anything cause we got a charter booked in Huron the 2nd weekend in October!

2. That sounds very painful...good luck.

BTW...powerful pain killers and alcohol do not mix mmmkay :)

3. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Good luck with the surgery. Hope everything goes well and you're back on the water in a hurry.

4. catking

catking Banned

Goos luck to you !!! How about an up-date every once in awhile;) . THE CATKING !!!

5. I have had two back surgery's for the same thing and I can tell you that you will be glad you had it done. That first pain free step after the operation will be like stepping into a whole new world. :cool: Decide ahead of time to recover as fast as possible and keep a positive mental attitude and you will be fishing again in a month. :D I went down to the front lake and caught a 3# bass on my 5wt flyrod the third day home. You will be sore and weak but pain free. Trust me on this one as I have been there and you can ask anyone that hunts or fishes with me how I can again do it all, and I am 65! :)

6. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i hope everything goes okay for you.hopefully your age will help you recover quickly.listen to the doc and don't push it too quick after the operation.
    i hurt mine several years back on a fire(torn muscle) and found out through the process that i have 3 degenerated discs and one that's bulging.exercise has kept the pain down but it still hurts all the time.within the next 4 years or so i'll end up having to get cut on.it'll probably force me out of firefighting before my retirement time.

7. u have ur age going for u - that will help - keep me posted as to ur progress - we will leave a few fish for u

8. JBJ

JBJ

Best of luck to you Capt. My wife walked into the house standing straight up the same day of her surgery. I'd lay odds that you will be very happy with your results. Take it easy and follow the docs directions and you will be on that fishing trip you have planned.

9. Not sure what type of surgery you will have but I had surgery to remove a disc and was out of comission for 7 1/2 mos ... My L-7 was removed thru my stomach and I had bone taken off my hip then inserted with two pins and one screw into thru the back... I waited till I could not walk before letting them cut me...
    God's speed and GOOD LUCK... Some do not come out good and some do thats why they call it "practice medicine"

10. Crown, I’m with you man. I have a herniated L5 and the epidural did nothing. Surgery is the next step. I’m 29 and in my case its hereditary, both my parents have had disc surgery. I’m holding out for surgery too.

The pounding on Erie and trying to stay motionless in a deer stand is rough.

There is some hope. The FDA is nearing approval for synthetic replacement discs.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/88/99801.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Good luck and we wish you the speediest of recoveries.

11. When i first seen the neuro surgeon she showed me what they use in disc replacement. Like a little piece of foam. Im not sure exactly what they are going to do. Ive been doing some research on the Discogram they are doing next friday, and it looks extremly painfull :eek:

12. Tomorrow is the day. Wish me luck!

13. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Good luck! I am sure you will do fine.

14. Chin up... I had mine and yes it is painful but the drugs will alliviate that... Do the therapy as directed and DO NOT PUSH yourself!!!
    GOOD LUCK!!!

15. catking

catking Banned

GOOD LUCK Buddy !!! I know you are feeling a little bewildered :D , but you will be fine. When it's possible, let us know how you are doing. Take care...... CATKING :)

16. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

jason..good to see you will be painfree soon..no more excuses for not wading the maumee with me sometimes now..
    good luck dood..and gimme a call when you're ready..

17. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Jason, good luck buddy. I've had my lower back done several years ago. Now that is great. My neck area is now destroyed and there isn't anything at this time they can do for it. Believe me if I could get rid of this pain I would. Get it done, do your PT like you are told and you'll feel like a new person.Who is your Doctor? Just wondering, I've been to several here in Columbus. We are blessed with a real good group.

18. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Hope all goes well!

19. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

good luck, you'll do just fine

20. You will be a new man by tomorrow evening. Trust me on this one. I've been there.