close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bad ice

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by peple of the perch, Jan 21, 2005.

1. went ice fishing today. not so good i caught nothing. went to punderson their was a place where their was a lot of snow and a thin layer of ice. met some people that were going their today.i left to get my supplies and when i came back thier was a big hole in the ice and i looked like someon fell through. it would go from three to one inch in a matter of a couple steps. then i went to east branch checked the ice their it was good until i got out a bout a 100yds then it was two inches of ice and then about 4-5 inches of water than another 1 inch of ice. than a giant crack came around me so i got on my nees and crawled out.

2. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Are you sure there was nobody in the hole?

3. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Glad you're ok, could have gone badly for you. BUT, and please don't take this the wrong way, I gotta tell you, I read this post out loud to myself and almost choked on my sandwich laughing. I realize it is only funny (to me at least) because you're ok and nothing bad happened....but still.

4. ya im pretty shure that their was no one in the hole their truck was gone. and ya i guess it ws pretty funny.

5. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Especially the part about getting on your knees. I think I would have too, in sincere and earnest prayer!

6. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

I was on mogadore today and it was the same way. You think you are on good ice and the next minute you are standing on jello!

7. Hey perch peeps, you ever get any good size northern out of East?
    Through the ice? Open water? TIA

8. :rolleyes: Im going to take a trip to milton and check the ice there. they keep the water down because of the docks. this should make for some colder water but it was spoty wed. most of these lakes are full of warm spots at the surface. unstable water makes for unstable ice. milton should be diff. being it stayed low.
    perchy what was peachy! :D :D

9. Hey guys sorry about your luck .I guess I had a better day . Some freinds of mine and I went to Norwalk Res. and caught 13 trout , kept 5 , and numerous Bluegill and Perch .The ice went anywere from 3 - 1 in. , of course 1 meaning deeper water .All fish were caught in 9 ft. of water in a transition to 14 good clear ice .

10. esox

the last time i saw a northern get pulled out of east branch was 4 years ago. i never fish for the northerns thier but their r still some in their. but their r some nice bass in their

11. id rather get on my knees rather than fall into friged water

12. The key temps to watch are the night time lows. If they stay below freezing, the daytime highs will do nothing more than melt snow, which causes more problems. Not sure how long they're talking warm temps for, but I'm not real happy or optimistic for a decent season this year. But, that could change too, with the right weather pattern.

13. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I checked out Punderson Sunday afternoon. The ice was NOT up to my comfort level. Just out of the launch channel only about 1.5" clear ice under slush and water with a heavy crust over all. Pucker factor very high every time I broke through the crust. I left after about 15 minutes and went to Mosquito.

14. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Hooked and lost two eyes on the roadbed near the cemetary. Had a small one head-up in the hole several times but couldn't get a grip before he broke me off. Forgot the minnie bucket AND the gaff.