close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bad Guide ??

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by SteelinaTrout, Oct 23, 2007.

1. SteelinaTrout

SteelinaTrout King Fisher

I got a 2 piece Shakespear ugly stick rod. when i used it last i noticed the guide on the tip of the pole was actually cutting my line. upon further inspection i noticed the finish had come off showing the bare metal. Can I touch this up with epoxy or paint or do i need to replace the guide all togther?:confused:

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

replace the guide.that's the only real solution.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I would say at one time that tip quide had an insert in it, but it came out exposing bare metel, replace it.

4. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

Rod tips are easy to replace. You can get a kit (several sizes of tips & glue) at Wal-Mart, Dicks etc. They only cost a few bucks, and will only take a few minutes to do the repair. Instructions come with the kit.
    Brian

5. SteelinaTrout

thanks for the info. I am going to walmart tommrrow to get a repair kit for my waders i will look into the guide repair kit as well.:)

6. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Most rod tips are glued on with a special glue.
    Heat the tip up with a lighter and pull it off with pliers.
    Take the tip with you, get a replacement, and see if they have
    rod tip glue. It's usually a hard cylinder. Heat it up, smear it on the rod
    and tip and reassemble. Done.

7. SteelinaTrout

went out to get thewader kit and did.. decided not to get the guide kit because round here lake fishing is about done and i am totally into steelhead fly fishing so i am gonna wait on the guides until spring thanks though to all who replied

8. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

For the rod tips, they normally use whatever the glue sticks are made out of for installation. When you get the tips, the instructions say to use glue sticks. I have only replaced one rod tip but I used super glue since I did not have a glue gun or glue stick.

9. tip tops are measured in 64th of an inch---a # 5 is 5/64"---a #6 is 6/64"---measure the rod right next to the guide with a set of calipers or micrometer---phone order the right size tip top and a stick of ferrule cement (rodmakers shoppe in strongsville)---heat the old guide and pull it off---heat the ferrule cement and apply it to the rod blank---heat the new tip and push it on---takes about 5 minutes---it takes longer to make the phone call

10. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

You might want to reconsider and pick up guide repair kit now. Just about all the fishing stuff is either on sale or about to go on sale.

Just a thought.

11. SteelinaTrout

Thanks chuck I may reconsider to save $$$;)