close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bad fish?

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fear_no_weevil, Oct 4, 2004.

1. i caught some bluegills the other day and when i started cleaning them they had small black specks on them and in the meat. does anyone know what this is and if its ok to eat them (i threw them out).

2. If it was in the flesh i twas probably grub larva. If it was on the skin it was either the same or perhaps black spot parasite. Believe it or not they claim that neither are harmful to humans if the fish is prepare properly and fully cooked. However, I don't know too many people who choose to eat them with the grub present.:eek:

3. I've been eating bluegills with those black spots in the meat for over ten years. Those spots seem to be in about every gill I catch in a strip pit. If you deep fry them you have nothing to worry about because the hot grease will kill anything, if present. I also bake them and have not ever had any problems with them.

4. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I've been told it's fron birds crapping in the water. It seems like you find this where there are a lotof trees overhanging the water. I never have the black specks on gills in upground resivors.

5. eat them and enjoy... cook to kill them they are just parasites...
    birds may spread them by dumping in water you are correct but I am guessing they can spread other ways too...