close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bad Day for my Brother but it could have been worse.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TritonBill, Feb 6, 2005.

1. I got a call from my brother last night on my way home from Columbus. He told me he was in an accident and immediately I felt weak. With my mom being in a fatal accident a couple years back things like this haunt me. Luckily and I say he's very lucky to escape from this accident alive. As you can see from the picture below the tractor flipped over backwards and directly on top of him. He was pulling a tree into the clearing when the tree got jammed and caused the tractor to flip before he could react. He's drove a tractor for years but yesterday it might as well been his first day. It shoved his knees to his chest and trapped him underneath. His arm was pinned by the steering wheel and he couldn't get out by his self. Fortunately he never cuts wood alone and had 2 people there with him. If it hadn't been for those 2 people he wouldn't have made it out of there. They jacked the tractor up with a truck jack enough for them to be able to dig him out and unpin his arm. He remained calm so he says throughout the process after he started to get his breath back. He did spend several hours at the emergency room getting checked out for broken bones, internal bleeding, checking out his lungs ,etc. According to them everything seemed to be ok besides his badly bruised arm and swollen hand.

Things happen for a reason and on this day my brother escaped with minor injuries and soreness thus far. It's hard to imagine the space he was pinned in unless you actually were there to see it close up, but a little to the left or a little to the right and he would have been smashed. Had he not had someone there or had to wait on a rescue crew he says he wouldn't have made it out of there. After 30 minutes and finally making it out he was growing very weak and it was hard to breathe.

Before I had gotten the call from my brother I had made plans to go rabbit hunting at the farm where I grew up today. My brother joined us and although he wasn't able to hunt he walked around with us to keep from stiffening up. I know he's going to be very sore because he was already today but I thank God for taking care of my brother and being there saving him from yesterday's accident. I'm amazed he was even able to walk around today but I know he was in pain.

I don't mean to scare people but this was an eye opener for me. Lots of lessons learned from this but the most important one of all is to cherish everyday you can with your loved ones. I really do believe things happen for a reason and I'm very happy my brother is still here today. I'm hoping within a few weeks he'll be ok.

[​IMG]

2. Glad to hear your brother is OK and uninjured. Had to be a trying experience. When a tractor flips backward it is like a split second happening. Sometimes it is better to pull from the front when in rough terrain. Sure hope your post helps educate others on the site.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Bill, glad he OK. Tell him to becareful man.

4. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

What can anyone say? Thank God for sparing your brother and those that love him the pain of losing him. It certainly makes me appreciate everything I have.

Rob

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Bill man glad to hear your brothers ok.

6. WOW BIll you are right he is lucky... whewww

7. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

Glad to hear he's ok.

8. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Glad he is Ok, that looks and sounds like it could have been a lot worse!!

9. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

Glad to hear he is fine Bill.

10. Glad to hear he's doing OK.

11. Hey Bill, I sure am glad he is OK. He was very Lucky. I have seen several fatalities over my 25 years in the Fire Department. They happened just like that!!!!!!!! Again,,,,,,,,I sure am glad he is OK..........

Several years ago my brother was riding with a friend and was in a car accident. He was pinned in after they hit a power pole with the right side passenger door at a high rate of speed. I was there to cut him out, I was so very scared that he would not make it. I rode to the hospital with him as an EMT and Thank God he is OK today, HE walks with a little limp because his pelvis was crushed. But he is getting along fine.

It sure is great to have him along fishing, Kinda brings everthing into prospective doesn't it............................. Thanks, Stan :)

12. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I'm glad that he can walk away from that. Hope he recovers well.

13. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

A lucky man. I knew a gal who was mowing a hill and as she was going up the hill the front end lifted, she pushed in the clutch, began to roll downhill, then she let out on clutch and the tractor flipped over on her and she suffocated. Life is indeed fragile. Glad to hear your brother is OK. He is smart not to do those risky things alone.

14. My brother actually snapped the steel clutch peddle off pushing it so fast and hard. It's amazing what you can do when the adrenaline is pumping.

15. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

Glad to here he is ok. I hope his recovery (Mental and Physical) are blessed. Prayers are sent.

16. glad to here your brother wasn't hurt to bad. it's a miracle he walked away without serious injuries. baby bass

17. I know how you feel triton. I watched a tractor and wood wagon role over my dad when I was a teenager. He was just lucky that he landed in a soft spot or he would not be here to go fishing and hunting with me.
    I am glad that you and your brother will still get to spend time together.

18. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

God was smiling on your family Triton, that's for sure. It is amazing seeing that tractor upside down like that and no space underneath it. There must have been an Angel there holding some of the weight for him.