Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met up with Steelhauler and Shakedown Friday morning at Point Breeze for what was supposed to be a couple of days of catching some salmon.

It ended up being 3 hrs of rocking and rolling Saturday morning with a steelhead, a brown, a skippy and one dropped something. It was rough and getting rougher so we went back to dock late morning hoping for the weather to pass and to be able to get in some more fishing.

A very strong storm rolled through Saturday evening and really messed up the lake. It was still very ROUGH on Saturday morning and the lake was messed up with all warm water on the inside. Even the charters were back to dock by mid morning, it was ugly out there. We had to call it a trip and head home disappointed.

Had the weather not interfered there were plenty of fish in the close water to catch. Lots of bait and hooks, and good temp break. The weather wiped that all out with one il timed storm.

Maybe next year we will have better weather and actually get to fish

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Bummer lundy! Hope they go for u next time! Lol that way worst then driveing to Erie an seeing a messed up lake! ? For you? How do u guys troll up there? Riggers? Dipseys? And are you pulling spoons? Just kinda putting my feelers out. Me and my uncle always wanted to give it a try just haven't done it? Any must have gear? We have all the Erie deepwater trolling stuff minus downriggers.
Thanks. An sorry weather didn't allow you to cattch!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
For salmon this time of year you normally have to hit that 60 to 80 ft range with your baits. So wire line diver setups, downriggers are pretty important. You can get some higher fish but you will get more steelhead than big mature salmon. There are alot of water fleas over there so if you tried divers without the wire line you would have a huge build up of junk that would be real tough to fish through.

First year we ever went we just used two hand crank riggers and got plenty of fish. Now with automatic riggers and a speed and temp probe its way easier to catch fish and have confidence in what you are doing.

·
Super Moderator
3,988 Posts
that really bites...blame it on shakedown!!
i had the smoker chips soaking and waiting for some mudshark!!

kim, if you ever have room for an extra i am an expert net man!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Bummer about the weather lundy.....

My buddy was up there the same time as you. He fished thursday to wednesday. There were a few days that were pretty bad. He took his fishmaster up. A few of the days they chartered. Thankfully the charters he went with had some big boats. I do think they sat saturday morning though. That n.e. wind was kicking.

When they did get out they spanked the crapp out of the kings and steelhead.

They caught several near or at the 30# mark.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Was up at the same time. Got our butt kicked Saturday morning. Five steelhead, one coho and one king Saturday afternoon/evening in 500 FOW. Spin Doctor and fly. Was planning on staying until Monday but left Sunday due to the weather going downhill fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts