Ohio Game Fishing banner
161 - 180 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Took the little dig out on a leash yesterday afternoon. Got around the pond and a hen Killdeer took off along the ground in front of us, dragging a wing and screeching wildly. Had to look really close around the gravel, found a clutch of four eggs laid between stones. I set up some larger stones for a windbreak and she really really really wanted me to follow her. Saw her from fifty feet away at dawn, sitting in the wind on the nest. Will have to steer clear while cutting the grass for two months or so.

·
Registered
725 Posts
We live in a big suburb butted up against a city but we get deer, coyotes, turkeys and other nice people. Yesterday I was tilling my gardens and thought back to last year. I had planted some White Tomesol Tomatoes and they were really late to produce. I finally had one ready to pick the following day but Old Beaneater, the neighborhood buck, came through and ate most of it while it was still on the vine. I actually saw him as he tripped a security light and went around the side of the house. They coyotes crapped in my bush beans twice also. Meanwhile, Bluebirds and the Redtail Hawks have returned.

·
Registered
737 Posts
We got our first catbirds last weekend. Have one that will almost eat out of my hand. Can get about 6 inches away before it turns away. Almost mistook it for a grackle yesterday. Luckily I have a scope on the air rifle.
Thanks for the report on the catbirds Mike. And just a friendly heads up to all.....Make sure before you shoot. Female red winged blackbirds look a lot like starlings.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Our house sits 250 feet uphill of Elk Creek, on the rim of a 30% slope. The vultures are back in force, riding the thermal lift. I might get into the woods down the hill before it rains to see if the coyotes left a carcass.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Leaf Branch
Cloud Sky Bird Atmosphere Vertebrate
Cloud Sky Bird Vertebrate Wing

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,402 Posts
we have a Robin's nest in my wife's front door wreath w/4 little blue eggs 🐦 a couple nights ago I forgot she was there and when I opened it up to check my car she took off flying inside my house 😱 was moderately entertaining trying to catch her at 11P ... there was a nest last spring in the same spot that hatched 3 little ones ...

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
No hummers in Youngstown yet, however, i did have my first ever "redheaded woodpecker", three yellow chickadee's, and some critter i'm not quite sure of. Gonna have to go to my book to figure it out.
A light brownish-grey, sparrow looking bird, with a bright red cap and the red slowly diminishs as it goes down the body to about mid-point.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A light brownish-grey, sparrow looking bird, with a bright red cap and the red slowly diminishs as it goes down the body to about mid-point.
Maybe a House Finch (Carpodacus Mexicanus)?

Reactions: Gottagofishn

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Yessir, codger, i just looked it up.
Still no hummer and no orioles, but i did have 3 male Grosbeaks at my feeder at the same time this morning.
I also had a starling and 2 Grackles there, looks like i gotta dig out the Gamo. The Grackles will wipe out the feeder in 1 day and the Starlings take great quantities of my suet.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Two rare sights in Canton today. Red Headed Woodpecker and a Yellow Rumped Warbler. Had 2 of these warblers hang out for a week or 2 last year about this time. They ate peanut butter. I fished North Bend Reservoir in W. Va. About 10 years ago and saw lots of red heads. They liked dead trees in and by the water. Very pretty. Also have a Red Breasted Nuthatch hanging out. Don't see many of them either.

161 - 180 of 212 Posts