Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
last spring we counted 24 around the feeders we seen one last week. we keep asking the same question where did they go?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Cardinals and many other birds seem to have left. Unusually quiet at my feeders!! waiting for bird irruption I keep reading about. hoping .....

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Junco’s have been the primary visitor at the feeder. I’ve noticed the few cardinals I’ve seen have been hanging back and reluctant to come. I’ve never seen so few this time of year ,I feed primarily sunflower seeds just for them.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yea Junco's showed up last week. They love the cold. Cardinals seem the same as every year. Cuy co. ;)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Early in the summer I had quite a bit of different birds at the feeders, but the Squirrels moved in and destroyed some of the feeders. I was feeding the Squirrels trying to keep them off the feeders. I finally took them down. A lot of the birds were just passing through at that point. I need to repair them and put them where the Squirrels can't jump to them, that was my fault for having them too close to things that they could climb up and make a leap. I saw one of them jump about five feet from the ground.

·
Musky Finger
1,517 Posts
Not in relation to local birds but the coolest birds I've seen on my travels are magpies. Really nice streamers on their tails and they seem rather aggressive. Never seen them over here east.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Early in the summer I had quite a bit of different birds at the feeders, but the Squirrels moved in and destroyed some of the feeders. I was feeding the Squirrels trying to keep them off the feeders. I finally took them down. A lot of the birds were just passing through at that point. I need to repair them and put them where the Squirrels can't jump to them, that was my fault for having them too close to things that they could climb up and make a leap. I saw one of them jump about five feet from the ground.
Check my Migratory Beauties post from a few months ago. There is some info and a picture of my feeder design. No squirrel problems for me.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hey birders! Let us know what area you live in please. Had lots of male red winged blackbirds here in the Canton area lately. Lots of cardinals too. Among the more uncommon sights have been a red breasted nuthatch and a carolina wren.
I'm in Summit county

Im thinking the reason some of my birds are reluctant to go to the feeder is because of other preditors. I've had a red shouldered hawk and a coopers hawk around all summer and early fall, though i haven't seen them recently.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My bad! My feeder design and photos are in the post titled Attracting Baltimore Orioles. Sorry.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I am with you on preditors. WE have coopers;sharp shined;red shouldered hawks and red tailed. Just to name a fuew . Franklin co.
I'm in Summit county

Im thinking the reason some of my birds are reluctant to go to the feeder is because of other preditors. I've had a red shouldered hawk and a coopers hawk around all summer and early fall, though i haven't seen them recently.

·
Registered
594 Posts
We have quite a few Cardinals showing up at our feeders. They're out in numbers at first light and right before dark. Later in the morning it seems they're competing too much with the Red Wings and the Blue Jays and they can't win. We also have lots of Doves that the Cooper's Hawks really seem to target and maybe the Cardinals know enough not to feed when the hawk is active, I think once we have snow on the ground, we'll all see more Cards.

Mickey, Carolina Wrens are one of our favorites, small bird, big song. They don't migrate, so provide a warm roosting pocket near your house for if you can. They are one bird that is vocal year round.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Plenty Cardinals around central Ohio. They’re always hanging around my Junipers. The most common birds at my feeders are Chickadees, Downeys, Hairys, Red Bellied peckers, Yellow Shafted peckers, Chickadees, White Breasted Nuthatches, House Finches, Gold Finches, Blue Jays, Tufted Titmice,Bluebirds, Starlings, Robins ( not so many the last couple weeks), Carolina Wrens although I haven’t seen one lately. Some Song Sparrows, an occasional House sparrow, lately bunches of Doves and Juncos. Saw a Purple Finch a few weeks ago and a Red Breasted Nuthatch last week and the occasional Brow Creeper and Grey Catbirds. Crows but they don’t eat at the feeders.
There are others around but this is most of what I’ve seen lately.
I heard Pine Siskens are around but haven’t seen any yet.

We didn’t put up any feeders till late June (New hobby) and it took a couple of weeks for ‘em to get cookin good. Looking forward to next year.

In regards to the squirrels... I use hot pepper food in my feeders in the back. They won’t eat it.
My feeders in the front are baffled.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts