close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Backpack or waist belt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by TritonBill, Sep 29, 2005.

1. How do you carry your stuff around that your going to need for a days hunt?

2. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i've always used a daypack.it just always seemed to work the best for me.

3. Daypack if I am going to be there for a large part of the day. If I am just going for a couple of hours as if usually the case early in the season then I only take what fits in my pockets. When it is warm I don't like packing anything unnecessary as it will overheat me on the trip in and cause me to sweat.

4. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

That is why I use the day pack as well. I have a backpack that I carry when it is cold out. In the warmer weather I find that a back pack just makes me sweat that much more while I am carrying it.

5. I am the exact opposite of the other guys so far.

I use the backpack for the same reason bkr mentioned - I do not want to break a sweat. I find it to be even more effective this time of year. I dress very light this time of year - often only underwear and socks underneath my warm weather camo. I stalk my way into my stand location and either add additional clothing from my backpack before getting into the stand or while in the stand.

I actually HAD a stand I felt comfortable doing this in for years. I built it into an huge dying oak with lumber; it was concealed by very large limbs (the size of trees!) This has been the best stand in my life, but I lost it last year due to a property sale.

This has worked very well for me!

6. I guess I should add that my hike in to my stand is only between 150 yards and 500 yards depending on which stand I decide on. It is easy walking along fencelines as well. When it is warm like this I usually carry my light camo jacket in rather than wearing it for the reason that Fish-N-Fool mentioned. I just don't like a backpack on me because it holds the body heat in so much.

This time of the year I rarely hit the stand for more than a couple of hours on either dawn or dusk. I just don't have the ambition to spend any more time than that this early in the year when the activity is very limited during midday hours.

By the way Fish-N-Fool, I have one of those huge oak tree stands. Those are really nice. I have a platform big enough for my boy to hunt from it with me this fall.

7. bkr - they make the best stands - I could literally dance the jig in this stand without being seen. I harvested a couple wall hangers from the stand and had many other mature bucks pass by within bow range and I was never once spotted.

The kid who bought the property is 19 years old (granddad's coin) and he said he is going to start hunting, hence the no permission. I know he has no idea how to hunt because I saw him last season for the first time & he just walked aimlessly and sat in the open on a fence row (his grandfather owns the adjoining farm).

I was nice & told him what I knew as far as travel routes, bedding areas and such. I told him where my stand was and that it should be in good order for him. I then "encouraged" him to practice up and to stay out of the bedding areas - told him to hunt my stand exclusively. It is in a 4 way funnel away from the bedding areas and is a dynamite travel route. I had at least 1 mature buck within range every year from this stand.

It hurts if you can't tell :D

8. Yeah you sound a bit bitter. I think the cure for you is to go out and stick a big boy from another location.;)

9. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Hey Bill, waist belts are too much like "fanny packs" and we all know that fanny packs are un-rugged thanks to Richard Simmons and Tony Little so I usually have enough pockets on my clothes to carry my stuff for the hunts I go on but if you were going on an all-dayer where you needed to pack food and whiskey and stuff, a back pack is a must....... Unless you have mule?

10. Smallie, How did you know I had a mule?!

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm heading out in a couple hrs.

11. I Use A Backpak..it Has Hunter Orange On It So I Wont Get Stuck With A Arrow Or Bullet.////

12. Back pack...Fansey packs dont have enought room...