Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an Okuma 20, I also bought 300 yards of power pro 20lbs, should I backfill the reel with some mono and then fill it will the braid or just put the 300 yards of braid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
In a perfect world you would have another matching empty size 20 reel, then put the full 300 braid on and top it off with mono noting how much it takes to calibrate the line to the line counter(watch some YouTube videos on reel calibration) once you have it calibrated and have written down how much line it took to fill it correctly, then put that line onto the reel you want it on with the mono on the bottom. But now you know how much of each line it takes to fill the reel properly in the future. Good luck!

reelylivinsportfishing.com

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just redid all my reels today and they are convector 20s. I used 350 ft of 15 pound big game mono that I think was .16 then 700 ft of .13 mono. All 6 reels that I did were on the button when checked at 100 ft with a tape measure. That should get you pretty close.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In a perfect world you would have another matching empty size 20 reel, then put the full 300 braid on and top it off with mono noting how much it takes to calibrate the line to the line counter(watch some YouTube videos on reel calibration) once you have it calibrated and have written down how much line it took to fill it correctly, then put that line onto the reel you want it on with the mono on the bottom. But now you know how much of each line it takes to fill the reel properly in the future. Good luck!

reelylivinsportfishing.com
That makes perfect sense!! Thank you…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Deffinately use backing. No sense in using up a whole spool of braid when you won't be able to use the bottom 1/3 of it. Depending on the spool size of the reel I typically do about 1/4 to 1/3 of backing and the rest braid. If it's a reel your going to use for mainly flipping an pitching you'll need less braid. If your going to be using mainly for longer casts use more. The suggestion above about using two reels to figure the correct amount is a very good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts