close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Back Your Fish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WAKE ZONE, Mar 18, 2005.

1. What Is The Most Elusive And Most Difficult Fresh Water Fish To Take With Artificial Bait And Why?

2. catking

catking Banned

The CARP.........Not only are they are probably the most intelligent fish in the waters around here, they hardly ever fall to fake baits , unlike bass, eye's , muskie, pike , come to think of it , all the other fish :D ........ KUDOS to the carp....... ( well, they are bottom feedes also , could be part of the reason as to why they don't hit fakes ).......... :rolleyes:

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

The Carp has to be one of the smartest I agree.

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Smartest???? you guys are goofy! :p

Have caught carp on jig and pig several times. Never really tried to fish artificial for them though. I prob should agree though. I doubt if they are harder to catch on fake stuff because they are smart though. IMO I just think they aren't as agressive and don't prey on live bait that the fake stuff imitates as much. But as far as being smart?? I have seen too many carp sucking pieces of trash floating on the surface to say they are about the smartest. I can't figure out what trash imitates yet!

5. I prefer DUMB fish, and the bigger the better!

6. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I catch carp on artificials all the time, usually snagged in the fins........ :eek:

Good question Wake Zone, I'll return to see the real candidates. Muskys have to be an elusive and sought after fish who will follow the bait & not strike it. I'm going to vote for them. :)
    So far as difficult, I've been fishing long and hard for years & still haven't caught a musky, even after targeting them. Only saw one in our boat, it hit a hot-n-tot we were trolling for walleyes in Brookville Lake. It was a small one.

7. mrfishohio

Oh, the point I was making(not very clear) is-was that I've caught almost every species of fish in this area on artificials, many by accident while targeting another species. Never a musky......

8. TheCajun

TheCajun Sac-a-lai cookin'

I catch carp on a fly rod with ease. Heck, come up with a rubber corn bait and they,ll hit it. Dumbest fish around! I get them to eat arrows all the time! :D Carp, yeah, they,re great eating too! :( Darn menice I say! They make good fertilizer!!! :D Carp! Pffftttt!!!! TheCajun

9. One testable attribute of intelligence is learning. According to “Knowing Bass “ by Keith Jones Ph.D (Director of Research at Berkley Fish Research Center), the winner is…..The Striped bass

In order of quickest to slowest learners:

Striped Bass
    Carp
    Channel Catfish
    Smallmouth Bass
    Spotted Bass
    Largemouth Bass
    Bluegill
    Northern Pike
    Yellow Perch

Now, I have known some really DUMB striped bass. They hit hunks of lead with a treble hook…if you’re lucky. Even MrFishOhio can catch a few, yes I have seen it with my own eyes. :eek:

P.S. Great FIRST post Cajun! I’m really looking forward to more insightful posts from you in the future.

10. don't mind my spelling i went to coventry,but what about sturgeon? its got to be near impossible with a mouth that goes strait down.i'm under the impression that anglers in europe target carp more than any other GAMEFISH.maybe more americans will catch on i for one love fighting a big old carp!

11. i've never experienced it but i've heard it enough times and seen it on tv to love pike. they bite fish that have been hooked and inspite of NOT being hooked, they refuse to let go so much that people boat them. i don't think its a knock on their intelligence as much as their attitude and ferocity. i agree on carp though, you can catch a few on artificials but not time and time again (at least the same fish). even on dead bait like corn and boilies, carpfishermen use hair rigs to get them because they can figure out a hooked bait. i remember someone telling me it was the hardest species for berkley to come up with a powerbait for because they would stop hitting it once caught on it.

12. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Carp is the WORLDS most popular SPORT fish...only in America is this sport lacking.

I have to dig up a report i found one time on this topic..it too lists Common Carp as one of the most intelligent by far. They can see, smell and hear way beyound most species capabilitys.

Carp also like cats, feed on the bottom, mid depth...and on the surface.

Cajun, yea you'll make tons of friends on these boards with posts like that..."Dumbest fish around! I get them to eat arrows all the time! Carp, yeah, they,re great eating too! Darn menice I say! They make good fertilizer"....LOL......whatever.

Got to love those bow anglers...i guess!!!!

Scott

13. TheCajun

why shoot. waTs a sturgeon got to do wit this. My sturgeon just performed an optorectomy on a feller the other day. Done severed the cord connectin' his eyes from his'n butt cause he had a crappy outlook on life. Now that ol' boy fishs for them carps! go figger that one1 Hooowe, carp creole' tonite boyz. :D

14. TheCajun

I did not know carp eat cats. I will put swimmys on the wifes kitty next time we is on the boat. So, like do carp hack up hairballs?

15. Fish Tale

Fish Tale Sea Food Eater

Don't fall for it guys.............. He's just trolling for some attitude!!!

Musky --- gets my vote.... Going to give them a try this fall in september at Lake of the Woods... Crow Rock....Wish me luck!!

16. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

If were talking HARDEST to catch(or fool), then i'd say one of the salmon or trout species in Ohio's streams are probably the most difficult.
    Any fish can be difficult if its a pressured water system.

Yea, i know about Cajun(thanks for the PM), ah if ONLY it was the good old GFO days i could have so much fun with this guy...but i will refrain and keep the ole 'Maniac out of the OGF.

Scott

17. Fish Tale

Fish Tale Sea Food Eater

river rat
    Don't know if you still can fish it anymore "due to 9/11" but 15 years ago I use to take the boat up into Eastlake CEI warm water discharge.....tie off of one of the walls and set some night crawlers down on the bottom;using 15 to 20 lbs. test line,had the time of my life catching those carp..... some were so strong that they would spool the reel if you didn't stop (cup) the reel and break them off.That was mid to late April.
    Then when the carp run was finished the white bass would be next...fast and furious....Man them were the days......
    I use to think the same thing about the steelhead.....Do some research.....It'll come to you.

18. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Fish Tale, sounds like my kind of fishing there.....in Ohio i rate the most powerful fish I fish for:

Flathead catfish
    Carp
    Hybrid striper
    Channel cats
    Smallmouth bass
    Big drum

You'll know when you have one of those top 3 on the line...the scream of your drag will let you know.

Not many anglers can say its hard to control the species there after once hooked, even fishing heavier gear, its not easy.

Also how many species in Ohio grow over 40 lbs ???
    I can name 5...

Scott

19. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

Muskies have to be the most difficult to catch. Muskie guides really have their work cut out for them. Many anglers catch their first muskie by accident while fishing for other species. Then then buy muskie lures and tackle in hopes of catching many more. Typically they give it up after a Year or two with little success.

20. mrfishohio

The question posed was......
    Not the dumbest, smartest, etc.

Good question..... :D
    I'm going to hang with Muskys still. They seem to be the least caught even when you are fishing for them. I've caught everything else down here on artificials on purpose & by accident. ;)