close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Back To The Basics

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by tpet96, Feb 25, 2005.

1. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

With all the talk now days about large fish, money tournaments, high end gear, etc...... does anyone plan to go back to the roots and enjoy what is best when fishing: the bankside friendships?

Man, I miss spending the evenings (nights) bankside with the gang, smacking mosquitos, starting cooking fires with bugspray, downing some beverages, making 3:00AM runs to White Castle only to end up saying "man, I really hate white castles", falling off of 6' cliffs while trying to run to someone else's running rods because they are asleep in their car where it is warmer, having lunch delivered bankside (chips and white castles again), watching people dive into the rocks to save rods that are entering the water from running fish. Man....those are the times.

Ak......remember all the fun we had up at Delta catching fish under 8 lbs? Back with spinning reels and medium action 6' rods? :) Man, that was some fun....even though you did outfish me 20-0 LOL. How about the trip to Bucyrus to fish the flood pond with huge trucks rushing by in the pouring rain. Hehe. HAHAHAH or the best one yet.....your ice fishing trip here in 0F temps with -30 windchills, wind howling at 30MPH from the NE. YOu lasted what, long enough to walk out to deliver minnows, say goodbye, then drive back to Toledo? HAHA.

Miso.....Man.....talk about some good times. Remember Kokosing the camp trip to Kokosing? Holy cow. Talk about a messy camp.....but likely the most fun I've had in the past 3 years. Even complete from the green slick on the surface of the water from my baiting campaign from the canoe :D Or what about the trip to Lockport last winter.....the drunken run from the Lumpy Pickle to Taco Bell. I swear that is the only time I have EVER ordered over $20 in food for 1 person from taco bell. You ate 1/2 of a burrito, then passed out. I'll never forget the next morning. YOu wake up, roll over, look at the 2 bags of taco bell still sitting on the floor and say: "Man, I ALWAYS order way too much from Taco Bell". HAHA

I dunno guys.......I think I might go old school this year. Only euro gear would be the brolly, pod/alarms, landing net and mat. Other than that, it's light spinning rods/reels, light line, light weight, slip rigs, and maybe even dough :) Of course, there are a couple of waters I want to break out the big stuff just for distance, but it's going to be an "old school year" for me :)

2. Don't forget the Wheaties and red pop.

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

:) Thanks Bill. Been a while since we've fished.

4. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

Miso says: You can't catch Carp on Wheaties and Red Pop, not unless you add peanutbutter to it first. How's the foot doing Bill we have to get out fishing soon.

5. catking

catking Banned

Now you are talkin my game Shawn !!! What's DA KING show up with ? Two freakin poles, a cooler , a lawn chair and a few hours of GREAT BS'ing :cool: I did buy myself a new carpin reel this year and will purchase a new rod for it, but I'm all for what you are saying.... I caught the 42 pounder with nothin but good old days low tech ways :cool: What 42 pounder you are asking yourself :confused: .............. :D .DA KING !!!

6. EDIT: LOL, I'm not a carp fisherman but what they heck...I can relate... :D

I did something similiar, last year I didn't do ANY tournaments whatsoever and just fished for fun. It was great to once again be able to fish where I wanted to fish and when I wanted to fish without dedicating myself to a fishing circuit, etc. It kinda helped get me back to what fishing is all about. This year I'm doing a few tournies but not very many I think.

7. That is the only way I fish and its fun watching the others get their rods out for fear of massive tangles :eek: ... I will at some point purchase some rods, reels and all the trimmings jus tso I can enter a tourny now and then but I love catching hugs fish on the reg gear allot for now ;)
    Me.. I am always the 1st one asleep and the 1st one up LOL and I love to cook over the fire pit or what have you...

8. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

hell yeah.. i'm all for old skool this coming year.. i seems to catch more and better fish using it anyways.. :)
    and yes, i always enjoy my time bankside with EVERYONE here.. :)
    and shawn.. yes i remember those places and times veery well... :p i miss delta reservoir , not too many place you can catch a triple.. :)

9. My God man i can't break 50# let alone a triple digit fish!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Know what your sayin,went with Buckeye Bob last year to a place and we got wore out catching so many fish but nothing over 10# but man were they strong.Brice uses a 7' rod,that's why I was laughing so hard at him at Cowan,he made two jumps at his rod and missed and finally grabbed it about two feet in the lake,his rod must have slid 10 feet across the island.He reminded me of Bill Murray jumping at the gopher in Caddyshack. :D

10. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

HEHE. Great story iceman. Bob's whole baitcaster paylaking thing he's doing now gave me the itch to go back to the basics. So much more fun not lugging the gear around, and less work bankside. I'll still use it like I said.....but most of the year it's gonna be a blast.

AK.....we need to hit Delta sometime this year. Right in the middle of the summer when it's swelting hot. :) Perhaps an evening fish ;) I wanna hit the other one sometime too. And the Maumee........there are a TON of carp in there. Perhaps we can find a downtown location where we can take in the sights :D

11. crappielooker

sure.. i fished downtown toledo where all the fancy restaurants are before.. you really need 2 person to fish it tho.. kinda hard to land them..
    i'm also up for the maumee carp.. might as well go for smallies too, while we are at it.. since they hang out in the same area ..
    my buddy that kept the carp in his tank have been back to delta regularly to feed them for me.. good fellow he is.. :) night bite at delta is awesome.. i use just 1 rod when i night fish there.. unless its usually slow..

12. crappielooker

actually shawn.. delta is awesome when i first fished it.. back before i got my pod and bite alarms, which would put it around may/june timeline..
    as a matter of fact, i remember taping glowsticks to the bite indicator i borrowed from stoatie, along with his banksticks.. using those on the bank of delta at night.. just staring at the lights moving up and down.. :) ahh good times..

13. Excellent post Shawn. Even though I've gotten into some of the Euro gear here and there, I've still tried to keep it as simple as possible. Wouldn't even have the pod if it weren't for Bob (and Da King, since it is HIS pod :D ). Sometimes i get caught up in all the talk of the "quest" for 30 or 40 lb fish, or only fishing places where the chance for larger specimens exist, only to get frustrated when i realize that's not what it's all about for me. I have much more fun just trying out new waters, or fishing with some of the carpers on an "easy" lake. Heck, i spent more time fishing Buckeye Lake last year than anywhere else, even though i never landed a fish over 15 lbs from there. But, i could usually expect to catch something without working my butt off and chumming for days on end only to find out that I still had to fish at night to expect any decent fish action.

Then there's all the talk about the gear...I just stay out of all of that. It's cool and all, but I'm perfectly happy with my low-grade carp rods and converted catting gear. Sure, the bite alarms have becoe a necessity, and it's nice to have some of the other stuff, but it isn't really necessary. Some days, though, I miss using my lighter gear...I've already been considering downsizing a lot of my stuff so I can more easily make those last second trips, or so i can hike into those off-the-path honey holes more easily.

14. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

I can carp fish more basic then any of you ?????

Sounds like a fun sort of challange that maybe we should have an impromptu fish-in with. Pick an easy water like Buckeye, Dillon or better yet a weekend at Kokosing and lets all fish at least one rod the lowest tech way imaginable. You know a forked stick, no fancy rigs (must be bought at walmart) no baitrunners etc etc. Could be a fun time, you know I will be there with my trusty Ultra Light in hand ;) Will be fun to see how low tech you can get would love to see someone land a fish on a plastic bottle with line wrapped around it.

Of course bring some fancy gear for the nightly drunk feast so we don't lose too much equipment.

15. Sitting here now spooling up my popeil pocket fisherman. :)

16. catking

catking Banned

Forked stick :confused: That's my forte' :cool: Ain't none of you can get as simple as DA KING .I'll one up you all.I'll bet I can go very simple and catch NOTHING :cool: No wait , I do that every time out............... :p ....THE CATKING !!!

17. Thats a great idea... also need plenty of bankside food ;)

18. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

King you crack me up!!!!!!

CW.....I still remember the day You, Miso, DA CHICK ;) , and myself fished Buckeye a couple of years ago. THat was a blast.

19. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Euro Gear....Old School?.....hmmm

"Only euro gear would be the brolly, pod/alarms, landing net and mat. Other than that, it's light spinning rods/reels, light line, light weight, slip rigs, and maybe even dough "

Sounds like only "old school" are rods/reels and bait....?

Old school to me is junky spinning rods or pushbuttons,light line, gold trout hooks , plain corn..or dough balls on the hook and forked sticks. Stuff i used growing up..old school!

I used to light tackle angle for carp all the time when i was younger, heck my buddy Dave did for years until his Shimano's drag washers were paper thin and stopped working..lol. Its all relative in what your looking to get out of it..IMO.
    If all you want is to catch fish, go to EASY waters with basic gear and have at it, If your unhappy because the "Euro" style has yeilded you less fish...maybe its not for everyone, my opinion is some would catch more if they only gave up one thing.....?....BOILIES, to me they are not instant baits and lots of them have to be introduced in an area(or water) to get the fish on them.
    Plus learning to read water(water craft) is something that never gets talked about on these boards, if you cant find them, you cant catch them plain and simple! You can have $10k in tackle, but if you dont know a thing about finding the specie your after you wont catch a thing. Most guys will show up to new waters..yup good looking spot, cast out and wait to see what happens...lol

Euro gear is also relative to the waters fished, i certainly wouldnt take my long rods to a pond or stream were the biggest carp ran maybe 10 lbs..overkill...but again i would'nt expect to take my light gear to big water and expect to land many fish.

I think all the high tech. gear is fun if used right and not made into a need be basis, meaning cant fish without it. I like all my new gear and catch loads of fish using it, i personally think it has increased my catch rates for carp and i for one will go full Euro whenever i can, but when the water dictates small gear, i will too use my light gear and have fun.

As for the "fun" on the bank with friends, is'nt that why we hold CAG Ohio fish-ins once a month over the season? Spend time on the bank with friends and have fun sharing....hmmm....to me fishing is the reason for going, friends and "hanging" out is the bonus, and if i wanted to get drunk, i'd stay at home and watch TV.
    C ya all at East Harbor in April.

IMO,
    Scott

20. I think what is be gently refered to here more then old school is getting that old feeling back when the Euro gear wasn't even a thought or even used yet...
    All the fun... getting back to the fun part Scott... I am going to purchase my 1st set up Euro gear style real soon and still hope it does not take away the fun I have wondering if I'll egt broke off or have the hook pull out... I don't know what effect the Euro gear will have on my fun... so to speak