Ohio Game Fishing banner
161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
I just cracked a store pick of Blantons, the non store pick i had open before this one was better. Also, if you can find antient age 10 start, it's nearly identical as Blantons (same mash bill) and it's 15 bucks.
Blantons infamous profile comes from where the particular barrel is aged.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,493 Posts
Blantons infamous profile comes from where the particular barrel is aged.
Yes I know, Warehouse H. Store picks also come from that same building but are picked out of better than usual barrels. Some picks are better some aren't but depends on the pallet. Antient Age is the same mashbill (#2) as Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, the warehouse single barrel program that is Blanton's specialty plus and fancy bottle is why people chase Blanton's doesn't mean its better than the rest that come from masbhill #2, at least in my opinion. Its good but can name 20 other bottles (mostly shelve bottles) that I would rather drink.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,748 Posts
Yes I know, Warehouse H. Store picks also come from that same building but are picked out of better than usual barrels. Some picks are better some aren't but depends on the pallet. Antient Age is the same mashbill (#2) as Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, the warehouse single barrel program that is Blanton's specialty plus and fancy bottle is why people chase Blanton's doesn't mean its better than the rest that come from masbhill #2, at least in my opinion. Its good but can name 20 other bottles (mostly shelve bottles) that I would rather drink.
The lady who manages the liquor agency in a local supermarket told me the exact same thing. I told her that a lot of people online seem to really like Blanton's. She made a little snort of derision and said that you can spend a lot less money, and get bourbon that's just as good. I'll have to try Ancient Age the next time I'm in the market.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Ok. - just getting into bourbons. Have had a bottle of this or that over the years. But just had some American honey (wild turkey) that I got to add to a coke, lemon, and ginger hot toddy's for a cough (bad bronchitis that could have been covid) - stuff really helps and a shot of liquor helps a bit more. Anyhow, after enjoying sipping on that & some other random bourbons in the past - I picked up a bottle of buffalo trace.

Question is, what are some good simple mixers/cocktails using bourbons that keep the flavors? I've been enjoying it on ice or with a 50/50 splash of simply lemonade/ limeade or some ginger ale. What else should I try?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Mix with “sodas” like cola,! 7-up/ sprite,

I love Moscow mules…vodka,lime juice, ginger beer lots of ice…..
so
make it a Kentucky mule…bourbon instead of vodka …more flavor!

ginger beer isn’t for everyone, I really prefer the cheaper Kroger non alcoholic ginger beer over the often recommended “fever tree ginger beer” but, to each their own….

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,493 Posts
Old Fashioned is my favorite bourbon cocktail. I like 1oz of rye, 1 oz of bourbon, 1/2 oz simple syrup, 3 dashes of angostura bitters, 2 dashes of orange bitters over one large sphere ice cub, luxardo cherry and orange peel expressed over the drink and around the rim. I don't always add the luxardo as I don't like them to sweet but I will add them once in awhile.

Kentucky Mule is good, mint julep, whisky smash.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
We go through a couple of boxes of Esther Price bourbon cherries each year….usually try to save them for the Holidays. I’m not normally a chocolate connoisseur, but dark chocolate, cherries, and bourbon …with a glass of bourbon is a good combo. The girl’s at Ester Price said they were made with Maker’s Mark? Not sure about that, but they are good:

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Crown Royal Salted Caramel is making a rare appearance (at least in the Greater Cleveland area) - was surprised to find some on shelves while picking up a Michter's US (!) View attachment 498843
I am surprised that you find it " rare" to find salted caramel on the shelves… It's on the shelves every day down in southern Ohio… Personally, I think there's a reason for that

161 - 180 of 182 Posts