Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Try the Jefferson Very Old, I think it’s better than the Oceans that I’ve had and a little cheaper (just no boat ride).

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm told these are all excellent View attachment 478704 View attachment 478705
but I guess my palate isn't refined, J B black and Wild Turkey are good enough for me.
Enjoy !
For a cheaper bourbon, that larceny is really really good. It's a bit mild for my liking, but has a very vanilla/ oatmeal raisin cookie note on the taste. I think i picked a bottle up for around 25$ last year.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,118 Posts
I went back to that store I mentioned in my last post. They have a great selection of bourbon, and the lady who runs the department is a bourbon fan! She likes Bulleit. Also, the separate shelf of stuff wasn't necessarily their high ticket items, although one of them was $2 hundy. They're just new items. While we're talking I notice these Christmas gift packs with a bottle each of Jim Beam Black Label extra aged, Basil Hayden's, and Elijah Craig. Then I saw the price, 50 bucks! Huh? How can sell it at that price? A closer look revealed that they were 375ml bottles. But still, it's an easy way to taste test 3 different bourbon if you've never had them before.

Reactions: Smitty82

·
Charter Captain
1,223 Posts
I'm a fan of the 4 roses also but for many of the others I really like it depends how I feel like drinking that day . Buffalo trace is my normal mixer and if i want to kick it up some weller 107. I would say eagle rare and EH Taylor are my two either neat or 1 small cube drink and a new one I really like is Shenk's sour mash. I have learned I'm not a fan of the high test stuff or rye's. I have the weller 12 and full proof but have not cracked them yet but I cant see them sitting around much longer.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Does anyone else think Angels Envy is extremely overhyped? I was super disappointed the first time i picked up a bottle. Super "oaky" and just kind of bland.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it has not been pointed out everyone needs to try Wild Turkey Rare Breed you will be amazed. At that price point it's a great choice for sipping.
Took that advice and picked up a couple Wild Turkey Rare Breed's over the weekend at Bassett's at Catawba.....(scored a bonus earlier so included that in the pic since I didn't luck into any others over the weekend.) Tried the night bite on Friday - seemed slow for others and myself off Mazurik, but it was a beautiful evening - saw a couple well-lit kayaks paddling out off the wall around 7 pm.....

Plant Bottle Liquid Solution Fluid

Water Moon Sky Watercraft Lake

·
Registered
474 Posts
Took that advice and picked up a couple Wild Turkey Rare Breed's over the weekend at Basset's at Catawba.....(scored a bonus earlier so included that in the pic since I didn't luck into any others over the weekend.) Tried the night bite on Friday - seemed slow for others and myself off Mazurik, but it was a beautiful evening - saw a couple well-lit kayaks paddling out off the wall around 7 pm.....

View attachment 479170
View attachment 479171
Glad you liked it and I see you also have another winner! lol

Reptile Toy Arthropod Finger Sculpture

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
OK, my go to is still Four Roses Select, it is very, very, very good and always accessible

But…..
At my Office Christmas party I had a few glasses of Blanton’s for the first time. I know……it is all hype & marketing…….NOPE! It is the best bourbon that I have ever tasted. I’ve not had much high-end stuff, and I’m no whiskey connoisseur, but Blanton’s is the best that I have had, and it is not even close.

So, yesterday I was out getting coffee, and decided to stop in a little ghetto liquor store to replenish my cocktail stock after my bar was hit hard by Santa. This is the kind of place where the clerk and all bottles are behind bullet-proof glass, and most of their business is selling single fruit flavored cigarillos. I order my staples…..Stoli, Maker’s, Don Julio.
“Anything else?” She asks robotically.
“Do you have any Blanton’s?” I ask jokingly.
“I don’t know…..” She says while walking away, and is out of sight for about 5 minutes.
So, I’m think how my stupid question blew-up on me, and I’m irritated at myself for wasting time.
Until she presents a box from a back room and asks, “Is this what you want?”

Oh, and it was about $5 cheaper than Four Roses Select.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Try Buffalo Trace... Also watch a movie called "Neat: Bourbon or something other" Explains how Blantons comes about..

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,118 Posts
I'd like to find a bottle of Buffalo Trace, but have never seen a bottle in any liquor agency I've been to. A converstion with a lady who runs one cleared up the mystery. With both Buffalo Trace and Crown Royal Peach, when they get what little they get, it mever makes it to the shelf. It goes behind the counter, and if someone comes in and asks for it, they will sell you a bottle.

Reactions: threeten

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've tried A LOT of bourbons. My 3 go-to's are Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, and Basil Hayden's

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've tried to like bourbon so many times, but just can't.
It's the whole line whiskey/bourbon/scotch/rye.
Had a friend give me a bottle of Angels Envy as a good starter bourbon.
Love the smell of it so I'll keep trying.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts