Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm back on the lake fellas. Not a trimphant return to say the least, but at least I'm back at it. The foot's still healing so I'm still restricted to where I can fish (no climbing on large rocks, no long hikes, no wading). I did go to Hoover early Sunday morning however. I only caught a crappie and a bluegill but I was still happy to catch something from my favorite lake. About two weeks ago I was fortunate enough to go to a private pond and I caught my personal best lmb (only 15", along with 3 other lmb's less than 10"), two small crappie and about 15 bluegills. Here are pics of my recent exploits and hopefully there are more to come shortly. By the way, at Hoover on Saturday, my brother's father-in-law caught a fish I've never seen before on a waxworm. Looks like a carp to me, but maybe someone else can shed some light on this:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
With your foot on the mend, it sounds like the perfect time to get that catfish you were looking for. Have one of your buddies bring a lawn chair down to the lake for you, cast out some liver, shrimp, crawler, cutbait, or whatever you like, and wait. Take 2 rods and try different baits. There are big ones in hoover

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know what slippy? I did take my cat rods out. I threw out shrimp, bluegills, and liver. Not a bite at all. Funny because the area where I fished is known to give up a cat or two. Oh well. Hopefully next time.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should've got a cast net and practiced throwing it during my downtime. Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20. That being said hopefully my next purchase is a cast net.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
yeah but the plus side is you got to sit in a lawnchair by the lake and just kick back. My brother and I used to just sit back all night long and just wait. Some nights we'd pull 15 or 20 others none, but like I said worse case scenario beats watching crappy TV

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's right slippy. Better to be on the lake than on the couch.

Thanks puterdude. I'm plotting my next attack now.

Hooksetter, I was thinking shad at first but it bit a waxworm. I was under the impression that shad don't eat live bait. Plus the body shape doesn't look much like the shad I'm used to seeing.

·
Outdoors Enthusiast
105 Posts
Looks like a golden shiner to me
Catch em quite often up here in the weeds on waxies

AWESOME fishin man good to see you back in the grind

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I agree with bibbs,it's a shiner and slim you should have used that for bait on the channels.:D

·
Flathead Fanatic
325 Posts
Glad to see you're back at it Slim. Now if you wanna get that Cat it's just about prime season at Griggs. Shoot me a PM if you wanna get up there sometime.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like a golden shiner to me
Catch em quite often up here in the weeds on waxies

AWESOME fishin man good to see you back in the grind
Good to hear your back in action. Not exactly sure what the fish in the picture is but it might be a golden shiner.
I agree with bibbs,it's a shiner and slim you should have used that for bait on the channels.:D
Thanks fellas that's pretty cool. Had no idea shiners were in Hoover.

Puterdude, I wanted to use it for bait, but not know what it was, I didn't want to take a chance of using something that might be endangered for bait. Next time, it's going on the hook!:B

Catman63 and Capthook pm's sent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts