close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Back in the day!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Elamenohpee, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

The other day I went into a store (actually its been happening to me for YEARS) and bought a couple of 6's of Great Lakes "Conway" beer. The fella there looked like he might have been a retired businessman or just someone who wanted to do something on his own, but professional and courteous non the less. I asked a couple of questions to which he replied helpfully and upon the completion of the transaction....he thanked me and I said "your welcome"

What seems SO unusual about this?????...

The other day I went into a store (actually its been happening to me for YEARS) and bought something, I can't remember what, but upon the completion of the transaction....this inner city urban type person said to me "YOUR WELCOME"...real snotty like.

Now am I confused or is it MY freakin' money that provides them with a job?... or should I be thankful to them for taking my money?

I just don't get it. I was raised to be courteous and polite. To thank people who did kind things for me and to hold a door open for a woman. Have things really gotten to the point where store clerks think they are doing us a favor by being on the job so we can get what we need?????

Next time, I'm just going to say "NO!!!!!, YOU"RE WELCOME" :mad: :mad:

2. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

AMEN BROTHER..they dont teach courtacy and respect anymore

3. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Looks like we are in the VAST minority :(, but oh well...at least I know there's someone else out there who knows what "right" is. ;)

4. if it makes you feel better I am with you guys and I'm only 21.

BTW I work in sales and I GREET them when they come in(smaller store, can't always do so in a larger store) and when they are leaving say THANK YOU & HAVE A GOOD DAY

and I do hold the door and open it for others when I am using the door myself or a lady is getting into the truck

5. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Ya got one on me ;). Good to hear there are some younger guys with good bringin' up ins'

6. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I thought about this thread this past evening when I stopped at a Sunoco station that I don't normally frequent. The sign at the pump said "pay in advance" and a sign on the door said "we're out of coffee" The Witch behind the counter looked mean enough to discourage any would-be robber. :rolleyes: She just mumbled at the customer ahead of me and didn't speak at all as she handed me my change. :( You can rest assured I will never set foot in there again. I exercise my right as a customer to vote with my wallet. I've worked too hard for my money to spend it in the wrong place.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i've noticed the same type behavior for years,at many places.i always say thanks for services rendered,but as you said,i'm spending my money to help those people make a living.but most just think they're doing me a favor by taking my money.some even act like you're being a bother to them :rolleyes:
    maybe they weren't taught the meaning of respect and courtesy :rolleyes: :confused:
    common courtesy has kinda gone by the wayside nowadays,which is really sad.

ps.............snatch,you're a rare example of the people of your generation,and you're to be commended.
    my wife and i are in our late fifties but she wonders why i still open her car door for her,among other things,or show courtesies to others because it's so rare these days.
    i always tell her "that's the way my mother raised me".
    sounds like your mother must have done a good job with you too :)
    maybe chivalry isn't dead after all :cool:

8. ...and if you did not do as Mom said it could have cost you a good wack upside the head... Now if you try to wack "jr or the little misses upside the head your next move could be calling your lawyer seeing how you can get out of a child abuse case...
    I won't go into the long of it but I was accused of child abuse by the school my children attend and I have never layed on hand on any of my children ever... I have great kids who mind themselves very well in everything they do... anyway the teacher was out of line and repremanded but also told to keep keeping her eyes out for any signs of child abuse...
    Oh yea why did she make a report out against me? She over heard my son telling a kid that I always beat him ( it was at a game we play shooting a .22 rimfire like the dart game baseball ) :rolleyes:

My Dad took the paddle to me a few times and my Mother had us gun shy from an upside the head now and then... All she had to do was reach for something and we went into protect mode... Plus she was a stay at home Mom which kept us on our toes all day long nowadays with both parents working many kids raise themselves and could care less about adults or being courtious to anyone including their playmates and friends... Many of us had our backsides sore now and then and it taught us valuable lessons in more ways then one...

It will only get worse I am affraid...:(

I recall just the other day my son was holding the door for an older lady and she did not even thank him like more then a few before her... Seems even adults can become as thankless as the major % of children these days...