Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this year for vacation we decided to take a trip out west.ended up seeing the badlands,mount rushmore,crazy horse monument,devils tower,little big horn battlefield,yellowstone,grand teton park,most of colorado and alot of other great sights.
we were lucky enough to be at the crazy horse monument n the day that a multi million dollar gift was given and witnessed a blast on the mountain.i met Ed(Eagle Man) Mcgaa,an Oglala Indian who was born on the pine ridge reservation and later became a Marine corp fighter pilot who flew 110 combat missions in Viet nam.he took the time(about a 1/2 hour!)to talk with me about his book and his life both in and out of the military.he gave me a great deal of insight to the plight of the Indian people AND their contributions.
we met alot of nice people on our trip,a little over 5,000 miles, and visited some places that i hope to return to again some day.
hope you enjoy the pics!

the people to the right side of the pic at the top of the falls gives some scale to the size of the falls

·
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

the next 3 are the grand tetons

the elk rack arch in jackson hole wyoming

Ouray colorado.one of the most beautiful towns i've ever been in

the next few are from the traders rendezvous store in Gunnison colorado.very unique store w/ alot of world class mounts

·
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the badlands.beautiful,desolate place.

Crazy Horse monument

Deadwood

devils tower

·
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
little bighorn battlefield

the start of the climb up beartooth pass

at the top!

mountain flowers at about 12,000 ft

·
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
n.e. entrance to yellowstone just west of cooke city.

hot springs

the falls

the canyon

biggest herd of buffalo we saw!

anyone who has ever wanted to travel out that way should do yourself a favor and go.the most amazing scenery i have ever seen,so much wildlife and there are some really great people out there.i ended up with over 800 pics and about 2 hours of video.
here's a link to some more pics:

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/jeffmo1959/vacation out west/

·
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we went to rushmore during the day and at the night time presentation.at the end of the night time presentation the flag is lowered and folded then every current and former military person in attendance is invited on stage to give their name and branch of the military they served in.a very humbling experience to see.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
great pics,jeff.that is some beautiful country.wish i could make one more trip out there.was there in the late eighties,and loved it.mostly the dakotas,but visited wyoming,idaho and the northwest before that.the badlands are awesome.rushmore was special and i took the helicopter ride for a real up close and personal look:cool:
crazy horse was inspiring.looks like quite a bit of progress in 20 years,but lots to go.i was hoping i'd get to see it finished,but i think i'm running out of time,LOL.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Awesome pics Jeff!! I have never been out to any of that area. It has always been on my short list of places to go see and your pictures reaffirmed that.

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience with us.

·
Kiss The Converse
4,560 Posts
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I've been lucky enough to make it out West a few times and have enjoyed every minute of it!

·
Registered
16,825 Posts
Thanks for the photos! Did you camp or did you motel it? How many days was your vacation?

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
These are excellent pictures. I've did the mount Rushmore thing a number of years ago...but it was only a day trip. My bucket list still includes a 3 month road trip to the north all the way to the coast and a southernly return.

BTW...what people are you referring to to the right in the water fall picture...! :D

Thanks for the pictures. ;)

·
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
snakecharmer,we moteled it each night.found some real good deals because there are so many hotels,motels and cabin rentals all around yellowstone.my favorite overnight place at yellowstone was in cooke city(great little town.quad runners on the only street all day long!),at the northeast entrance of the park and was called antlers lodge.small cabins w/ a kitchen and bath.only about $90 a night!
we didn't camp but i did take some gear in case we couldn't find a room.it's hard to make reservations when you're not sure where you'll be on what day.
one other good part of this vacation is thAt we think we may have a place picked out to retire to.,hopefully!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts