close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Back From Minnesota

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by BIGDAWG, Sep 2, 2004.

1. BIGDAWG

BIGDAWG Team Bass Xtreme

Well I'm back from Minnesota. The weather was horrible everyday but one and it got up to 78 and sunny. Almost everyday it was 58 and down to 34 at night. Water temps were only 59-62 but we still did real well. Normally water is around low 70's yet this time of year up there. So of course we had to change our plan of attack. We ended up catching 348 fish in 10 days of fishing. We mainly bass fish, but we caught LM and smallies, Northerns, walleye, perch, slab crappie, slab bluegill and saugers. We had 8 bass just under 5 lbs, quite a few 3's and 4's and tons of 1.5's to 2lb'ers. My buddy caught a 35" Northern that was just under 10lbs. Alot of the eyes we caught were between 13-15". We threw all of them back which p'd off most of the locals. :eek: We saw quite a few of them catching and keeping little 10-11"ers :mad: THAT p'd me off, but oh well I guess, I don't own the lake, but I guess they don't understand what they are doing to the fishery. Despite the inclimate weather we made the best of it. Most bass were taken on tubes and jigs. Very slow, in deep water. My first pitch when we got there was to a blow down that we ALWAYS drag a fish from. Felt one pick up my jig and set hook, 4 1/2 LB largemouth. I was dancing on the front deck like a 3 year old yelling THIS IS WHY WE MAKE THAT 15 1/2 HOUR DRIVE!!!!! :p :D Of course the few locals right there were looking at me like I was a friggin' idiot, which isn't far from the truth. Most locals there don't bass fish, "Sewer Trout". Hehehehe. Anyway, if anyone is about to head north be prepared to fish a little deeper than you normally do, on account of the colder water. Almost like spring fishing.... :rolleyes: Good luck guys, only 353 days till I go back to Minnesota!!!!!!!!!!! BD
    P.S. Anyone planning to head back down to Dale Hollow this fall???? Let's talk about a little 3-4 day trip.......

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Right on man! Sounds like you had a blast!

As for DH, im planning on the first or second week of March...interested?

3. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Bigdawg,
    Sounds like a blast. Where in MN did you go? I'm going to Pennington, near Bemidji, second week in October for grouse, woodcock, and fishin. Staying at the Pike Hole Resort between Kitchi Lake and Cass Lake.

4. BIGDAWG

BIGDAWG Team Bass Xtreme

Steel, We always go near boundary waters and fish several of the smaller lakes around the area. The bigger lakes we fish our Kabetogoma and we hit Lake Vermilion this year for about 4 hours. I wouldn't go back, to many people. It is a well known Musky lake, only caught 3 smallies on docks. PM me if you like, I'm not familiar with the area you are headed to. We're about 20 miles south of International Falls. Shakey, as long as I can get off work brother, count me in for DH....you're gonna make me by that F-N-F stick aren't you?!!!! ;) Later guys, BD

5. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Very glad to see you had a good time man . I wish that we could have caught some fish like that last night . I was suprised to see you make it to the tourny last night , but very glad you came . After last night , I am happy to just be alive ! When my steering cable broke , I thought it was over ! :(

6. jay01

jay01 Banned

Nice caught BIGDAWG.I know what you mean about p- off the locals trowing back fish.One night in hayward joe 01 and I caught 15 eyes all 13 or 15 we only kept 17in and bigger.The look was worth a milliondollars.I LIVE TO FISH....

7. eagleclaw

eagleclaw Banned

bigdawg next time you head back to MN there's a lake you need to try
    lake Winnie, or if you want to go after bigger fish there's always rainy river
    and lake of the woods