close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Back From HawgFest 2004

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capt.Muskey, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

Just got back form the Huron Hawgfest this morning. I would have liked to stay longer, But I have to work.
    What a good time! Good fishing, Good food, Good music, Good people, What more could anyone ask for?
    I have to thank the staff for working so hard at making sure everyone had a good time, Thank You ALL!!! You did a Great job putting on a Great event! Makes me proud to be a member of OGF, Thanks guys.

2. Can't wait to read more reports...
    Nephew's wedding kept me away... "SIGH"

3. I just got back too. AWESOME catches at the tourney. To much cool stuff to post. Hopefully we can use this thread to post everything and not get 3 or 4 threads going. Killed the smallies on the Huron River, thanks Riverwalker, I owe you one.

4. Yep, I'm also back. I had to come back late last night since my daughter had 104 fever. The good thing is for now she is doing fine.

The Hawg Fest was a blast. I don't know the final count but there were easily 200 or so people, maybe more. Thanks everyone for coming out! It was great to the members that I did and hopefully I'll meet more next time. I was pretty busy parking cars till about 6:30 so some people I'm sure I didn't run into... I've never seen nearly 300 pounds of pig go so fast!! In fact it went so fast that when I was in line at 6:40 or so there was no hog, no nothing except fish leftover!! WOW, you guys sure no how to eat.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's catches. We only managed to get out for about 1 1/2hrs and got 1 sheephead!

5. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

For all of you who could not, or were hesitant to go to the Hawg Fest this year... my advice is to PLAN on going next year!!!! This was my first OGF event, and definitely won't be my last :D
    I met so many OGF members, that I had only known previously through their written posts. That in itself is quite fun, because you can finally see how accurate your feelings were about what people were like in "real life"
    I had many people approach me and say... "Hey! You must be "Reel Lady! or "The Reel Family!"" That made me feel good, thats for sure. That meant that people were actually reading my posts, AND remembering what I wrote about! What a form of flattery!!!!
    I think anyone that I talked to recognizes that I am just as passionate, if not more passionate about fishing than anyone else that was there. Yes, I am a woman, but I have no problem keeping up with the "guys".
    I loved talking with all of you, and meeting other OGF'ers that I really have never had any contact with via the website. I appreciated every bit of knowledge that you shared with me, as well as the invitations to actually go out and test my new found knowledge on those big fish!!!!
    Right now I have so many different kinds of fish that I want to catch, and have so many different methods that I want to employ, that I just don't even know where to begin! What a dilemma to have, huh? lol
    Well, getting back to the actual festivities...Upon arrival, shortdrift was the first face that I actually recognized. This made me so happy, because he, afterall, was TOPS on my list of people that I would be really excited to meet. And yes, he is just as smart, witty, and funny as he appears to be in his posts! Bill (Triton Bill) and his wife did a very fine job controlling the heavy amount of traffic coming through. Although, I think that next year, the parking people, and other attendants should be invited to eat FIRST! After all, they are working hard to keep things organized and under control :) Big Daddy slaved over those little piggies for hours, but MMMMMM... that pork was so good and tender, and juicy. Great job Big John! I'm not sure exactly who was cooking the walleye, I'm pretty sure it was Big Daddy, but let me tell you... that was probably the best fish I've ever had. (and this is coming from a non fish lover!)
    The bands were great too! What a shame that it was so darn cold out there! We needed a HUGE Bonfire!
    Then again, I am the worlds biggest freeze baby...
    The walleye tournament weigh-in time was really exciting to watch too. One of these days, I might find myself participating in a tournament or two. Who knows? I mean, I'm sure that I dont have the knowledge that many of those anglers have, but heck, it sure would be alot of fun!
    I also learned how to filet a walleye the "correct" way. Hehe... an electric knife... who would have ever thought???? I was in awe at how fast these guys were fileting these fish!
    So, to everyone who helped plan this event, and for all those who helped during the event, I'd like to give you all a BIG BIG Thank you! What a great time we had!!!!!

6. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Thanks for the compliments everyone.
    It was a tremendous amount of work,but it was all worthwhile.

Thanks to all who attended,and a special thanks to those OGFers who volunteered their time and efforts.
    Without your help it would have been impossible to pull this off.
    Special thanks to:
    Shortdrift,Pipeliner,Triton Bill and his wife for the wonderful job they did on parking everyone.
    Parking was one of our biggest concerns and they pulled it off flawlessly.

Marcia..It was BigDaddy who cooked the fish :D But OGF member BigJohn did a fantastic job on the Hogs!!

Tee and Fish4Fun were also very helpful.
    They pitched in in many different ways,some of which were tear down and setup,helping with raffles etc.

Captn Musky..Thanks for the help at weigh-in!

All of the great food would not have been possible without the tireless efforts of Mrs.Catking (Sherry) and Ruminator's wife Linda.
    These ladies busted their hind ends for 2 days..Thanks!

The bad part about these thank you posts,is you almost always forget to thank someone.
    There was so much activity going on in so many areas,I am sure I missed someone..so to everyone who helped..Thanks! :D
    I would also like to thank my fellow OGF officers and directors for a job well done,as well as the WBSA staff!

Now,on to the tournament...
    We drew a 51 boat field.
    First place was 33lbs+.... Prize money $2,250!
    We paid 25% of the field to 12 places.
    Big fish was a 10lb+ Hawg!..it paid $850
    2nd big fish was 9.75lbs!..it paid $460

Big fish prizes were enhanced by a generous donation by Reliant Mortgage Concepts.

Thanks also to Eric Adkins of Reef Stalker Charters,for your generous donation of a 6 man charter trip.

The dream trips raffles were all won by OGF members..way to go guys!

Liz and I had a great time among some great people.
    Looking forward to next years even bigger and badder event!

7. I was gonna wait for OGF staff to post this on OGF but got impatient.

Man you guys throw a great party and have a selfless and a hardworking crew. Thanks for all the help in making this one of the smoothest running tourneys ever on Erie! I'm waiting with bated breath for the picture that Big Daddy and others took to show up on here!

http://westernbasinsportfishingassociation.com/Hawgfestresults.htm

8. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Ha! Ha!..I beat you by about one second Marc! :D

9. Reel Lady

OOOPS! My mistake mixing up the Big guys of OGF :) Big John.... Bid Daddy.....So sorry Big Guys!!!! You guys BOTH did a great job!!! Thank you sooo much
    Marcia

10. Reel Lady

I have some nice pics, but Big Daddy and I took some of the same pics, and I dont want to ruin his fun by posting mine :)
    Where are you Big Daddy???? :D

11. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

PLACE
    TEAM NAMES
    # FISH
    TOTAL WT
    BIG FISH
    PAYOUT
    BIG FISH $

Solecki, Vargo, Forbes, Thompson
    $2,262.00

Robertson, Conn, Wasmnth
    $955.00

Davis, Gies, Duncan
    $720.00

Martin, Woods, Braun, Sterk
    $470.00

Benoit, Villanucci, Smugala, Friess
    $294.00

Leonard, Knittle
    $250.00

Warnke, Vernon, Ames

$220.00

Condon, Pawlaczyk

$191.00

Carlson, Stedke, Parks

$147.00

Zart, Jesionowski, Zart

$132.00

Carpenter, Kramp, Everett, Everett
    10.6 *
    $118.00
    $860.00

Herr, Stieb, Cargill

$118.00

Hazeley, Estes, Williams, Henderson
    9.75 **

$460.00

Zumack, Najar, Nuss, Sinkule

Buchenroth, Buchenroth, Crockett

Riddle, Williams

Hartman, Hartman

Sibert, Sibert, Davidson

Flaczynski, Tolliver, Wicker

Rhodes, Robinson, Knebusch

Chicoine, Johns

Bogdan, Bogdan, Sambunjak

Rumer, Rumer, Rumer

Allen, Messmore

Kahl, Brown

Muscioni, Hanck, Ryfe

Swanger, Pfeiffer, Schoonyan, Swanger

Below, Below, Gahn

Guice, guice, McGervey, Hooper

Swaitek, Olson, McNorny

Babb, Myers, Pantea

Lumbrezer, Walker, Pinkleman

Kiamy, Guitry

Moses, Stinson, Carpenter

Yount, Wells

Dowell, Dowell,

Gaal, Kulascewski, Price

Rogers, Rogers

Robertson, Cook, Breen

Geitgey, Boyd, Wilson

Putnam, Putnam, O'Flaherty, Gottfried

Benedict, Benedict, Kolar

Hudson, Williams

Ledman, Peck, Binger, Kerr

Joseph, Lash

Driscoll, Lillo

Coghill, Sosnoski, Deelstra, Deelstra

Pertee, Troxel, Holcomb

Ebi, Caterberry

Hahn, Adams, Plue, Longnecker

Dunn, Skodny, Zortman

12. Marc tried to post the results too and got the same result that you got....HUGE!!! So that is why he posted a link to our page. We have it in an excel file if you can find a way to post it that way. Just let him know.

13. Just got in from the perch trip. We caught fish, but they were small. Only a couple over 11 and we didn't limit as a boat. We kept 671 fish. Our limit was 750.

Was still great to be on the water. Bubbahunter won the rod/reel raffle and a buddy of bigmanfishing's nabbed the bait bucket and stuff.

Capt. Tim from the Irish Drifter put us on fish, they just weren't real big ones, but hey, they'll fry!

I have a couple pix from that PLUS about 35 from the whole event. I'm trying to get them on the computer so I can post them after some sleep. Probably tomorrow night.

I will recount stories from teh tournament and fest when I get some ZZZZZZZ's. I'm whacked.

14. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Just wanted to add my thanks to everyone that attended. If you missed it you really did miss a great time. The tournament was outstanding, as Mark said one of the best up there. Next year will even be better. Thanks to Shortdrift, pipeliner, triton Bill, his wife, for parking the vehicles. Their jobs are secure for the next one. Fish4fun, Tee and the other members that jumped in we couldn't have done it with out you guys. Thanks for helping out this morning, we would have still been there. I must have thanked you all several times. Catfishunter1 (my adoped son) thanks buddy, you were great. Z-fish, next time take a bus, it will save you lots of time :D Bigjohn, thanks for the hog even though we didn't get to enjoy it.
    Very special thanks to Todd the owner of the Plantation for his place and donation. All our sponsers what can we say but thanks! Ron, Reliant Morg. a very special thanks to you. To all our members that made the trip we hope you enjoyed it. WBSA group thanks guys and (Spooner) enjoyed it. Kim (Lundy) what can I say you are da man!! Tell the band guys thanks, but learn a little country for the next time :rolleyes:Your kids are great, jumped right in there and helped. To the rest of our staff, I really enjoyed it. Bigdaddy I really enjoyed the time we worked together.We really talked about a lots of things but also laughed a lot. Hope the perch trip was relaxing. To anyone I missed thanks. you all made it worth while.

15. Hey Big Daddy that wasn`t me that got the rod and reel it was Trucks son that got it.but thanks for thinkin of me lol.

Great time guys you all went above and beyond the call of duty. thanks.

Bub

16. Hey man, I'm so tired, I don't even remember who I am right now.

BTW, I posted some pix in my gallery. Check them out. Here's one that took "BIG FISH" honors...

[​IMG]

17. I have to thank Pipeliner, Triton Bill and his wife Lori for all the work they put in parking cars, trucks and boats. :) We started arond 2:30pm and finished at 7:30 pm. All together we parked over eighty cars plus 37 boats. There wasn't a spot left at one point in time. Like all the other staff that kept things going, we missed out on the pork :( but made it up with walleye. :) No Dale, we don't want the job next year. Thanks to Cat King for the chow on Friday after we had things set up and all the parking "Restriction Tape" :rolleyes: in place. Lotsa work, but lotsa fun!

18. Ron(Shortdrift), you sure did like that tape! haha :D

19. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I didn't get back until 10pm last night, had great time everyone and meet alot of nice people. Sorry didn't get to help out as much as i would have liked but Eric From Reef Stalker Sportfishing Keept us out on the lake all day sat and sunday, Man i have alot of fish for the winter. We limited out on head boat pearching friday, limited out on Erics boat on sat for perch and walleye and then on sunday Eric limited us on perch and put us on 18 walleye. I could not have asked for a better weekend.

20. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Thank you all for attending!! Every time we have one of these I get to meet more and more of you, and I really enjoyed the whole weekend!!