close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Back from Alaska...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Buckeye Bob, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob rrbski, The Happy Carper

and a great visit with my son and his family. 4 of the days were spent in the backwoods....many miles by boat to stay in a friends cabin. GREAT time. Probably the neatest think is that, although the cabin wasn't there at the time....I got to spend time with my grandkids at a place I spent many weeks at with their dad at their age. :)

Below are a couple links to some pics...one is of this trip....one is to an album some of you may have seen before...raising my children in Alaska. No need to sign in, even though there's a place to do so....just click on the picture and it will open the album.

Aug 2005 trip
    Alaskan Memories

All the best to you and yours....our prayers are with those of the Gulf Coast.

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

goood to see ya back Bob.. the carp around here says a big hello to ya.. :)

3. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

Reads like you had an outstanding trip Bob. Great pics of the grandkids. That cabin does look inviting.

4. Bob, nice pics. You are fortunate to have the young ones around to carry on tradition. What a magnificant place. What does one do for a living in order to live up in alaska?

5. Bob, viewing all those pics made my afternoon. That's stuff the rest of us dream about. Thanks for sharing them with us.

6. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob rrbski, The Happy Carper

AK....hope to see you on the bank at least once this fall...time'll be kind of scarce though til this spring...then it's back at it full swing. Can't wait...good fishing to ya.

Grumpy...thanks...and the cabin definately was cozey. Got in the low 40's at night but never had to start a fire....he's plumbed it with propane for the refrigerator and lights inside. Using a couple of the lights had the inside temp right at 70 all night long.

SS....thanks and couldn't agree more about the younguns. As far as making a living in Alaska....just about any job/trade that gets you by here will get you by there...in Anchorage especially. Teri's (my son's wife) is a partner (along with her grandpa, mom and uncle) in her family's produce farm in the Matanuska Valley growing potatos, lettuce, cabbage, carrots etc. And my son works for the state as the senior prisoner transport officer. He's got a terrible work schedule....7 on - 7 off...12 hour days.....and 4 weeks of vacation each year. Each week of vacation turns into 3 weeks when bookended by his week off. He only works 22 weeks a year.

Thanks GrayBeard, glad you enjoyed the photos. Living in Alaska was a dream of mine too after growing up in the UP of Michigan and Wisconsin...moved up there (military) at age 25....had a great time for 14 years. Wanting to spend some more time around my parents in their later years is what brought me back.

7. Great Pics Bob...kids Will Never Forget That Place...i To Have Worked At Coke But Never Did Retire From There..hope To Get To Alaska Someday...