Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we went out of Cranberry Creek Marina, started fishing somewhat early in the morning, and the fishing was pretty slow to boot. I pretty much gave up on the smallies and started fishing for sheepheads, which was bascially pretty slow too. I caught a few white perch and then a goby. As I was getting ready to bounce the goby off of the engine, I stopped and asked my friend if he would like to try and use it for bait, more or less just joking around. Seeing as fishing was slow, he said, "sure why not?". He put the goby on a circle hook and it couldn't of been in the water for more than 5 minutes. I was expecting to see a big sheephead but finally we had a smallie in the boat. We forgot the scale yesterday, so we were just taking lenghts, this particular fish came in at 18 3/4 inches long. He put the torn up dead goby back in the water and about 10 minutes later another smallie, this one was a tad over 18 inches. By this time I was asking for my goby back ;) I tried and tried and tried to catch a goby on a small peice of worm and a tiny jig head but I simply could not catch another! What are the chances, any other day when you dont want to catch one you would! On the plus side however, while I was casting for gobys in about 13 foot of water I felt something grab hold of my worm tipped jig and quite an amazing fight was on. After a few minutes I landed a nice 2 lb smallie. Quite a fight for my 4lb test 5ft ultra light goby rod ;) We'll as I was saying we didn't catch any more gobys so we thought we'de try trolling for just a little longer. Thats when we really got in the fish and managed to land 6 more trolling a crawdad color of berkley frenzys. I think they we're berklys, might of been a different brand. I'll post a picture of them later.

I think I also got my new personal best smallmouth but I couldn't tell cause we didn't have the scale! So for all you expert smallie fisherman out there how much would a 17 3/4 inch egg ladened female weight? My biggest smallie to date is 3.2 lbs, it looked bigger, but I just couldn't tell.

Didn't see many other people catching fish yesterday, a storm kicked up real bad and we had to get off the lake, Talked to a few guys at the marina but it didn't sound like anyone did that great, then again I didn't see anyone else trolling :)

I'll post pictures this evening probably.

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh almost forgot to add, we caught fish from 12 foot of water all the way up to 21 foot of water. The bigger fish seemed to be out deeper.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
It is unlawful to retain in your posession or use as bait ,THE GOBIE. I would delete this post as it could come back to haunt you.

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, I ain't gonna delete it, I'll openly admit I was wrong. I didn't know that gobys couldn't be used for bait but in the future I woun't use them. We only caught 2 smallies on a goby, other than that the rest came on crankbaits and one came from a jig tipped with a night crawler.

Thanks for the heads up shortdrift, in the future I'll just bounce the gobys like usual :)

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I checked out DNRs webpage just to confirm it, and shortdrift sounds as if your right. The DNR page says:

It is illegal to transport and introduce any aquatic species from one body of water to another or possess live ruffe, goby, and zebra mussels for any purpose.

So we we're in possession of one goby with a hook through its head on the end of a fishing line. I guess on a plus side it wasn't me who was doing it, it was my friend :D

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh wait, I just reread that... and we wern't in the wrong. The law reads you cannot posess LIVE gobys. Trust me this goby was as dead as they come.

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
Fishman,

I assure you that it is absolutly illegal to use a goby for bait. I have had a few converstaions with the game protectors about this very subject. The intent of the law isn't to protect Lkae erie but rather other inland bodies of water. The feeling is that if using goby's for bait was allowed that SOMEONE would end up taking a bucket of these some other body oy water whether on purpose or by mistake.

Kim

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already said it wasn't me doing it :\ Besides if the goby is dead, as the law states it is only unlawfull if the goby is in possesion LIVE it is illegal. Generally when you put a hook through somethings head, it dies.

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
I'm not condeming you or your friend, just letting you know the way the law is enforced for your future information.

The dead goby explination will not fly if seen fishing with one, I am sure of this fact.

I wish we could legally use them, everything that swims in Erie likes to eat them.

Kim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey fishman I think we saw you guys fishing yesterday. We saw a ranger boat trolling around vermillion yesterday that seemed to be catching all the fish. We were the one in he old gray ranger drifting. We did manage a few smallmouth untill the wind moved us off the lake. We fished the sandusky bay in the evening and caught some monset sheephead, a few smallies, and a few largemouth.
hunchback sheephead

biggest smallie of day from vermillion

bay smallie

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We we're in a bass tracker, I'll post the pictures this evening once I get them off the digital camera.

Thats one funny looking sheephead. We only caught one surprisingly, expecially if you take into consideration how much time I spent jigging a crawler.. he was a monster as well. Not a monster by the definition of which your fish fits, highly deformed :D

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
18 3/4 inch

This one was 17 3/4 inches and full of eggs how much do you think it weighed?

They seemed to like this lure

·
Feared by all that swim
806 Posts
A pregnant 18" Smallie will weigh 3-4 lbs on average.I bet it felt nice.Weather permitting I'll be there this weekend.

·
Catch bait???
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was wondering cause the biggest smallie I have ever caught and weighed was 3.2 lbs, it looked like it may of been more than 3.2 but I just couldn't tell ( we left the scale in the truck )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts