Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been doing really well bass fishing around the harbor areas. Mainly working the breakwall. It is getting overshadowed a little with how great the walleye has been. Anyone else been going after the smallmouth?
[YOUTUBE]9ZBfyYwtnqQ[/YOUTUBE]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Me and my dad did pretty good for our 1st time out there a couple weeks ago. We prolly caught about 100 bass in 2 days. When you say break wall are talking about the channel? I am looking to go back next week but the grass is really bad.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were In Ashtabula harbor and fishing the inside and outside of the breakwall. The grass on the inside is bad in spots but not to the point where you can't fish, and no problems at all outside. We didn't go into any channels but we did fish one of the interior breakwall where the weeds were thick but still caught fish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What were you all using for the Smallmouth? I've never been before and I'm hard pressed to go this year with the Walleye so Good!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks like a fun time.

Have been crushing the smallies lately.140 fish,best so far.Most of big gals are not in the harbors anymore:D.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Javelin doesn't like those 2 lbers for some reason!

Sent from my HTC One using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
51 Posts
What harbor would be good in the toledo area my buddies and i are wanting to come up and go but have no idea where to

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
140 smallmouth in one day? That's impressive, we just started fishing for them a few weeks ago when our bigger boat's engine blew and left us without our walleye boat. We still are learning, where are you catching them out side of harbors? Do you find rock piles or what? Would appreciate any additional info. Biggest one we carrot so far was a little over 5 pounds and a couple 4 pounders, those are going to be in a different video.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Are we talking east and west harbours?

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
146 Posts
140 smallmouth in one day? That's impressive, we just started fishing for them a few weeks ago when our bigger boat's engine blew and left us without our walleye boat. We still are learning, where are you catching them out side of harbors? Do you find rock piles or what? Would appreciate any additional info. Biggest one we carrot so far was a little over 5 pounds and a couple 4 pounders, those are going to be in a different video.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Yes,140 sm in a long day.Was out with KTkiff a few weeks back 92.Last weekend on the other hand was miserable for me.......

Away from harbors is ideal more often then not.Cruise around with structure scan mark ideal targets.New water ill search for hours before ever wetting a line.

Ill be out thurs/fri & sat.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Any1 have gps numbers on breakwall??

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes,140 sm in a long day.Was out with KTkiff a few weeks back 92.Last weekend on the other hand was miserable for me.......

Away from harbors is ideal more often then not.Cruise around with structure scan mark ideal targets.New water ill search for hours before ever wetting a line.

Thanks for the reply we will have to give that a shot. We have a pretty cheap fish finder so I am a little worried it wouldn't show structure that well, but would LOVE to get into some real big ones and those kind of numbers. We wouldn't know what to do with ourselves!

·
Weekend Woodsmen
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

One other question I thought of...when you are looking for structure how far off shore are you fishing? We were usually just outside the main breakwall in 15-30 foot of water when we did our best. We did a little putting around away from the breakwall but in the Ashtabula area I have to believe it is hard to find rock piles and what not away from the shore and breakwalls. It is pretty flat bottom out there, so any tips on where to look? Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts