Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I caught a lot of fish, but also had a chilling experience. I was around 2 miles or so back in the Seneca Backcountry, by myself, and catching a lot of fish. The water was really low, but if you could avoid spooking fish and make your first cast to a spot count, fish could be had. Hot flies were a #18 black ant (thanks FlyFishDog!), a #14 tan stimulator, and a #20 Griffith's Gnat.

After catching several trout, and heading upstream towards the falls, I heard something upstream that sounded like a rock moving in the stream bed. Then I saw something for the first time ever: a wild WV black bear. And it was BIG. And it was only about 50-55 yards away. So there I was, wreaking of trout, and essentially unarmed (I had a Leatherman). My first thoughts were back to all the bear shows I have seen on Discovery that say make noise, loud noise, to run bears off. I mustered up the courage to yell "Hey bear!" The bear turned and stared at me for a few seconds, then walked across the stream and into the bushes. I was about to turn and leave, fast, when ANOTHER equally large bear crossed in the same place. That's when I knew it was time to get the hell out of there. I had a camera in my pocket, but the last thing I was worried about was documenting these bears, they were way too close for comfort.

I did, however, document some of the fish I caught. Enjoy!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Nice report, those black bears can make your hair stand up. Good thing you saw it first and didn't spook it. Good idea you get out of there after seeing them. FFBG

·
Registered
72 Posts
wow those are some beautiful trout. I am going to WVU this fall for school and hope to do some trout fishing while i am down there.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nice looking fish!
But they wouldn't be much of a meal for a hungry bear.
Ever consider a can of pepper spray as a fishing accessory? ;)

·
Off the beaten path
940 Posts
Unless surprised, provoked, or guarding their cubs those beers will turn and run. I fished a creek recently in PA and directly across on the other bank was a big black bear. I never seen him come up the shore (or down the hill). I was midstream and concentrating on drifts. My buddy who was downstream from me did the old whistle trick and I looked up. No more than 30 feet away. I watched he looked at me continued on and looked back a few times. If I can find the pics I will post. Nice fish btw.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Note to self......keep a gun when fishing in WV. Glad nothing happened, nice fish too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the only way to get more than 8.5/10 is to name the other 3 streams I fished, I guess I'll have to stick with an 8.5. ;):D
Naming the other 3 gets you a 9.5. GPS coordinates get you a 10.:D

I know a lot of guides up north carry bear spray. That may become part of my loadout in the future. Of course if I don't start eating better and getting in some exercise, the bears may see me and just assume I am one of them with some bad mange.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If the only way to get more than 8.5/10 is to name the other 3 streams I fished, I guess I'll have to stick with an 8.5. ;):D
wrestling the bear into submission then riding him back to the vehicle would have garnered you a 9.5 in my book.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts