Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this site. I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts for the last few weeks. I decided it was time to share my most recent trip to help others that may want to try their hand at some silver bullets.

Fished on Tuesday evening out of Avon. Only had 2 hours to fish due to other commitments. Went 3 for 8 on steelhead and also boated 3 eater walleye. Lots of bait fish holding the fish in the area. GPS numbers were the 40/6 to the 40/8 lines. Spoons were best, color and size did not seem to matter. We hooked up on everything from stingers to pro kings. Best two methods were large dipsy on #1 back 85' and down rigger set at 45'. Speed seemed more important. We did better at around 3.0 mph. We were trolling slower for the first half hour without any hits. As soon as I bumped the speed we started to hit fish. Hope the lake calms down so we can get back out soon.

Good Luck!
Just Ducky

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ones we got into the boat were 23" - 29". We lost the two biggest that broke the leaders between the dipsie and spoon. Maybe I need to run snubbers next time. Anyone else running snubbers for steelhead? How do they work if you do? I used to run the small snubbers even for walleye, but cannot find them anymore.

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
Just Ducky,

Welcome to OGF and thanks for the report.

I always run snubbers on big dipsey's in Erie if I know that those pesky steelhead are in the area. I run a lot of smaller dipseys and the snubber is not nearly as critical. Just the mass size and weight of the bigger dipseys will mean a lot of lost fish and some lost lures without snubbers.

I may fish the Avon area early next week.

Thanks again and glad to have you with us,
Kim

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Those are some pretty good sized fish. I hope to get a few in the fall when they come up the rivers. I want to get a few to try out in my smoker, how do you fix them?

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
I have caught a lot of steelhead in the rivers using my flyrod but never caught one on the lake. I have decided to make a strong effort to do so in the next few weeks and appreciate your information. :)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Hey Shortdrift, you mind giving me a few tips for river fishing up there? I have fished lots of rivers in Michigan for steelhead but never any in Ohio. What rivers are the best?

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you want fish for the smoker, plan on hitting the river mouths or piers in the lake late September thru October. Can get 'em on a fly when they're close, but best baits are spoons or stick baits (emerald shiner imitator). These fish fight better than those in the river and will not have that stong 'river taste'. Fishing will be better if we have a dry fall. Two years ago, it was fantastic, with 20+ fish days not unusual. Was slower last year, probably due to the fact that there was enough rain to allow the fish to run into the streams without staging too long in nearshore areas.

Once that slows down (November), I'll switch for night walleyes from shore in the lake and hit the streams for steel. If you don't fly fish, it's hard to beat minnows under a light float. Most flies work, from those that imitate minnows (streamers, clousers), eggs (sucker spawn, moe eggs, estaz eggs), or bugs (nymphs, stoneflies). Wooley buggers in brown/olive seem to work at times as well. Stick to the deeper pools or runs in the fall, unless the fish are really on the move.

Try to fish during the week, since the crowds will spook the fish and affect things more than your presentation or choice of bait. Unharrased fish will attack most anything presented correctly. Fish that have been spooked will be a bit more particular.

The "best" river is a personal opinion. I view the "best" as (1) the one closest to you, followed by (2) the one you enjoy fishing. Since the most important factor in this game is river timing (best conditions with the least crowds), the one that you can access the fastest is the "best". I fish rocky since it is 10 minutes from my house. But, I enjoy the vermilion, grand, and conneaut for the surroundings.

·
Registered
281 Posts
twister,

steelie fishing in ohio is far easier in ohio then michigan, lots of good info out there, as dingo said the place isn't nearly as crucial as timing, fish are found in streams from maumee too conneaut, nice rivers are the ones with plenty of access, hit up an outing that a site has planned to learn a new river or 2 in the fall.

J

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Freyedknot,
We were 12.5 miles out, almost straight north of the CEI stacks. Planning to go Saturday morning if the lake forecast holds. They are calling for <2' for the morning. I do not like to make that long of a run in rough water. Give me a call on channel 79 if you are out there.

Just Ducky

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Hey freyed and who ever else we are going out Saturday morning also I will look for you guys we hope to be in the water at 6 and plan on running 12 miles north of rr,edge,72nd don't know yet looking for steel and eyes start at 70 FOW we will monitor 79

yea freyed finally got a radio

·
useless poster
8,807 Posts
i work till midnight, so i will be out in the afternoon. edgewater is crowded. PWT tourny guys prefishing and offshore power races.

·
useless poster
8,807 Posts
i work till midnight friday eve, so i will be out in the afternoon. edgewater is crowded. PWT tourny guys prefishing and offshore power races.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went back to the same area Saturday morning. Went 6 for 7 until the wind picked up and we were forced to make the 12 mile trip back. Two were Fish Ohio's. Got soaked, about rattled my teeth out on the ride back, but well worth heering the reels sing and watch those silver devils jump!

Just Ducky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts