Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad, brother and I are planning on going up to Lake Erie for three days this weekend. We decided that we want to go after some Steelhead. We know that they are about 10 miles out now, but we have been told that we could catch some on dipsys and spoons. What advice would you give for a first-timer going out to catch some bullets...i.e. luse color, size, speed, depth, location, etc... Any help will be appreciated.
Dan

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I like red or orange for colors but any eye spoons should be good. Use light drag settings and use snubbers off of dipseys or they will be gone.

Scott

·
335 Posts
If you have a GPS, I did well at the 42/11 line on Sunday. Which is about 14 miles out of Lorain on a 15 degree heading. I ran out at 22-24 mph for 40 minutes. Downriggers at 45 and 50 feet, Large dipsies on 3 setting back 130' and 145 and 1 setting at 75' and 85'. We have been doing well with Pro King spoons in silver and green as well as Stingers in Bubblegum. We broke off a few, so make sure you have good leader line between the spoon and the snubber.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Going out on Friday and Saturday as well.. make sure you have a good drag system as you were told earlier. I have a buddy who goes after eyes and says that every time he gets a steelhead on it drags like crazy.. especially with fire line, no stretch!
let me know where you are heading, I will be on the radio... not sure where yet.
Either call for erieaddict or ying6.. and someone will get back to you.. as long as we are close.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I Was On The 42/11 Sunday And Hooked Up With Around 20 And Landed 9. You Want To Look For A Lot Of Bait Balls On The Bottom, It Will Almost Look Like Your Screan Is Cluttered. That Is Where You Want To Try To Stay Around. For Sure Run As Light Of Drag As Possible And As Snubbers Are A Good Idea. I Have Also Went From 20# Leaders On My Dipsys To 30# And A Good Snap To Hook Your Spoons To Are A Must. If You Use The Cheep Ones Or The Ones That Are A Nice Small Size For Walleye They Will Straighten Them Right Out. I Like Most Any Spoon With Orange Or Bright Colors Or Flashy Ladder Backs, And I Try To Run As Close To 3 Mph As I Can. Also You Are Looking At About A 15 Mile Trip To That Honey Hole, But It Will Be Worth While. You Wont Believe Your First Steelhead Strike. After That You Will Be Addicked Like The Rest Of Us. Nothing Like Seeing Your Rod Almost Break In Half And Line Peel Off Your Reel, It's Great !!!!! Have A Great Time !!!!!! Double Eagle Ch 79.

·
264 Posts
Hi,
Well a week makes a big diifference.Last Sunday we were at the 43-12 line and went 10 for 18.Today(Sunday) fished the 42-12,43-12,44-12,45-12 lines.Could not find the baitfish and had no hookups in 5hrs.A few boats out there and the guys i taked to on the radio said they had no hookups.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same thing for us. We were out for 4.5hrs, looked everywhere, couldn't find any fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts