Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any luck fishing next to the Avon Lake Power Plant? I went out this past Saturday from 8 A.M - 1 P.M throwing twister tails / spoons off an agitator. Only managed 2 fish the whole time. I did notice a ton of fish surfacing which I was assume white bass feeding off bugs, so I tried throwing a tiny top water rapala but couldnt manage a bite that way either.

Anyways any tips on time of day when they are biting and if thet are in thick yet would be greatly appreciated. Ive had great luck in years past but havent been able to get out much yet this year. I heard the nite bite can be good... is that 9 p.m and later? Ive alwayss had my luck in the A.M.

On a positive side note while I was getting set up and ready to wade out a police officer stopped me informing me of the dangers of fishing near the discharge. I told him I was very aware of the danger and multiple drownings that happen every year here. I am sure to stay behind the roped off buoys and have never had a problem. He said he was hired by the power plant to monitor and to alert people of the danger. I thanked him for the warning and went on my way fishing. He also mentioned that they are going to put more ropes and warning signs in the area sometime this year. It is still legal to fish there.He did take mt name age and asked where I live however which I found a bit odd.

Anyways thanks for any info and hope everyone catches a lot safely!

John

·
Registered
537 Posts
The plant changed ownership again I heard. Hence the added patrols. The public access is rumored to be changed to where the park actually ends. As for the fishing. Ive hit it different times of the day and caught fish every time. Fished Tuesday at 1p and pulled 50 plus off the pier. Thursday night we probably only pulled 50 between two of US. Same set up as u.

Sent from my C811 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When fishing off the pier do you have as much luck as when wading by the discharge(if youve tried both)? Typically I run the twister tail around 3' past the agitator.. same for the pier? Thanks again

Guess I just had an unlucky day. Want to smoke some white bass!! Mmmm

·
Registered
537 Posts
I stay away from the discharge. Gf wont wade. I have in the past done well both places. Lengthen your lead to 6 feet. I run 6 feet and 1/8 twister. Mix up your retrieve to vary the depth of the lure. I've had days where ill cast out, let it sit. Pop it, pop it. Fish on

Sent from my C811 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
~~~~~~~~~
501 Posts
Has anyone had any luck fishing next to the Avon Lake Power Plant? I went out this past Saturday from 8 A.M - 1 P.M throwing twister tails / spoons off an agitator. Only managed 2 fish the whole time. I did notice a ton of fish surfacing which I was assume white bass feeding off bugs, so I tried throwing a tiny top water rapala but couldnt manage a bite that way either.

Anyways any tips on time of day when they are biting and if thet are in thick yet would be greatly appreciated. Ive had great luck in years past but havent been able to get out much yet this year. I heard the nite bite can be good... is that 9 p.m and later? Ive alwayss had my luck in the A.M.

On a positive side note while I was getting set up and ready to wade out a police officer stopped me informing me of the dangers of fishing near the discharge. I told him I was very aware of the danger and multiple drownings that happen every year here. I am sure to stay behind the roped off buoys and have never had a problem. He said he was hired by the power plant to monitor and to alert people of the danger. I thanked him for the warning and went on my way fishing. He also mentioned that they are going to put more ropes and warning signs in the area sometime this year. It is still legal to fish there.He did take mt name age and asked where I live however which I found a bit odd.

Anyways thanks for any info and hope everyone catches a lot safely!

John
You might try later in the day like 6 pm till sunset.
Try a 24"-32" leader tipped with live shiners and give it a jerk about every 3 revolutions. As for him asking for your info, I would assume they compile demographics for the ODNR or something?

·
Registered
839 Posts
My guess as to why he asked for your name, would be 2-fold. 1- to justify his job to the power plant by noting how many people were warned, and 2- if you drown, the power plant could say you were warned and didn't heed the warning. It would minimize their liability in a lawsuit.

·
~~~~~~~~~
501 Posts
My guess as to why he asked for your name, would be 2-fold. 1- to justify his job to the power plant by noting how many people were warned, and 2- if you drown, the power plant could say you were warned and didn't heed the warning. It would minimize their liability in a lawsuit.
Now that certainly sounds like a more accurate explanation !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts