close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Automatic Fish Scaler

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mac, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Mac

Mac

2. I hand scaled perch for years. My dad always thought filleting was too much of a % waste of good fish.

Since I improved my fillet skills. That is the only way to go.

3. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I thought about getting one for perch for years. I'd still fillet them but I want to leave the skin on the meat.
    I don't want the scale mess all over the yard.

4. My buddy bought one a few years back and let me tell you it works great! We put about 30 of the same size fish in and turn it on, 10-15 mins. later and they are smooth as silk. It also makes filleting easier on your knife and the skin taste great when you fry them up:D I believe it cuts the fillet time down considerably and when filleting them, we will do what we call perch cracking. Cracking them makes the fillets come out looking like a split chix breast, just take your first side down to the belly and crack it down till only the belly meat is attached, then take your other side down to the belly and crack it outward and there you go split fillet perch.

5. This product is AWESOME. A buddy has one, which we always use for bluegill. After about 20 min. the fish are as smooth as GLASS!

6. We used one a few years back to clean crappie. THe one we had was pulled behind the boat at a high rate of speed. It just spun around on top of the water and descales the fish. Worked really well

7. bumblebee.........any idea where to find such a product today?

Best perch fries I have ever had were skin-on, scaled and filet.

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  9. Mac

Mac

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

No clue. Never owned one. I would think that a slow trolling speed would be best. I wouldn't just drive around to scale fish.