close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Auger wont cut.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishpro, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

I was just out trying to fish, and my auger won't cut a hole.:mad: The blades are sharp, how would I know if its out of pitch? I'm using a Mora.:confused:

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

are you turning it the correct direction? are the blades mounted on correctly?

3. Fishpro

Yes, and yes. The blades feel sharp, and I've gone over them with a sharpener, and I can't get it to cut. I'm going to get some new blades and take it to the bait shop and compare the pitch to a new one. I'm stumped and aggrivated...I was really wanting to fish today.:(

4. I'll bet the new blades will cut like new blades. These blades are very difficult to sharpen correctly without the proper tools.

5. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

I did the same thing a few years ago when I "sharpened" my blades. I didn't know how hard it is to sharpen them. I bought new blades and have been using them for 3 years and they are still cutting great. Break down and buy the new blades, they are well worth it.

6. In the past I have found that dull blades are pretty sharp to the touch still. My old ones still cut rite through a piece of paper like a razor.

7. Fishpro

I just spoke to a buddy, and he told me what I already knew that the blades are a pain to sharpen by hand, and they need to be done on a machine. These blades are a couple of years old, so they are probably due to be replaced. Oh well, the ice isn't going anywhere for a while.

8. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Not that this is the case, but:
    I know that if you are about thru the ice and give it a lil punch to break thru you can miss-align/bend or whatever the cutting edges and it may not cut right again. Sometimes it doesn't take much.
    Cut all the way without a force punch to go thru to extend the life.

9. I had a problem with my auger last week not wanting to cut , but then I realized it had some ice build up on and around the blades and that kept it from digging. Got rid of the ice and good as new.

10. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Auger blades that are extremely sharp can be ruined with ONE good hit on the ice. It will bend up the cutting edge ever so slightly but it is enough to make them useless.

If 100 guys try and sharpen blades themselves by hand 99 of them won't cut crap no matter how sharp you actually get them. The angle is critical.

I had a guy borrow my auger and I look over to see him beating it on the ice to "get it started" he said. My auger was done, no more holes could be drilled that day. I will drill holes for anyone that asks but I will not let anyone borrow my auger to drill holes.

11. =========================================================
    Let me know when you are in the area and I'll make sure to have you tag along and drill holes.:p Do you pull shantys too?:rolleyes: ;) :)

12. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

Fishpro, back in the 70's all new sets of blades came with a couple of light guage shims included.If you have access to anyone in the steel industry have them cut you a couple small pieces about 1/4" x 2" in 26ga material.Losen the blades and put the shim under the front edge of each blade then retighten.Al your doing is changing the pitch of the blades a degree or two and this is all you'll need if the blades aren't totally damaged or worn.You can also cut strips from a beer can and might have to put 2 strips together.Give it a shot, it might work...............Mark

13. Fishpro

I remember seeing the shims before, and thought about trying that. I still might try it tomorrow before I drop $30 on new blades.;) I have a nieghbor that works at a machine shop, I might have to hit him up for some scrap.:)

14. i have been there and done exactly what u r going through. save urself much, much agrivation and buy some new blades