close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Atwood Saturday 5/15

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Header, May 17, 2004.

1. Got no get motavited. I got up at 4:30 it was pouring. I got up at 5:30 got dressed and said back to bed, it was still raining pretty hard. Got up at 9 and stayed, milled around the house awhile and finally left. I was on the water by 11 talked awhile with a buddy and he put in during the down pour. They only had 3 eyes which is more than I even hooked all day. The east marina has a brand new dock. I started on the north shore second point east of the cemetery got 4 cats 14 - 20 inch, put them back. Worked my way down to the point across from the cemetery and only a gill 10" brought him for dinner. I was sitting at 10 fow and throwing at the bank. Did a couple of coves on the south shores with fall downs hit about 30 or so crappies took home 6, 12 - 14 inch for the rest of the dinner. Early on I was trying a red & chart roadrunner with minnows. Most crappies hit a plain orange headed jig red & white tube w/maggots. Got the cats & the gill on night crawlers just off the bottom. Left around 6. Even though there was a tourney the lake was not crowded, might have been the rain factor. I had only a t-shirt on for awhile, about 2 the rain started again.

2. A friend of mines note; I was down to Atwood twice last week. The saugeye started biting last week - caught 4 in about 7-9 feet. Used small road runner jigs (1/8 oz); either slow drifting or trolling with the electric. The surface temps were in the mid to upper 60's.
    Down twice this week. Surface temps up to mid 70's. Caught 17 this week. They moved into the shallows. Again small jigs like last week. Best colors were black and white or white.Today was my best. Caught all fish between 9 to noon , then the wind kicked up and the fish quit biting. Back at the launching ramp, the people I talked to all caught fish until the wind started blowing.