Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just a blind man trying to catch a fish!!!!!!
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to find some Crappie at Atwood?? Headed there this weekend would like to catch a few keepers as they are My wife's favorite to eat.
Any help or info would be great!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
sparkman
128 Posts
Catching crappies in Atwood 9" and up is tough and has been for the past 3-4 years. Deep trees and underwater bridges but be prepared to use a lot of minnows.

·
Just a blind man trying to catch a fish!!!!!!
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there slot of small Crappie in Atwood?
Any White Bass or Hybrids in the lake?
I'm going in blind to the lake, the more info the better

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The majority of the crappies at Atwood are in the 6-8 inch range. With the new length and creel limits that were put into affect two years ago it was expected to improve the overall size and numbers of the crappie fisheries in many of the struggling lakes around the state. It is my experience that any benefit what so ever has yet to occur at Atwood. But as I've been reading on this subject it could sometimes take several years before any real improvements become visible. As for White Bass, Atwood has a fairly healthy White Bass population and keepers seem a lot easier to come by than keeper crappies and or Saugeye. I am a die hard Atwood angler and spend A LOT of my time on the water there, however if I were going to fish for keeper crappies I'd probably try Leesville, Tappan , or maybe even Salt Fork. Because presently Atwood just doesn't have a significant number of keeper sized crappies, or Saugeye for that matter. If you do decide to hit The Wood, I do well slow trolling a light jig/twister tipped with a medium minnow. Good Luck man let us know how you do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I fished there Tues. the 6th. Prolly caught 30 - 40 crappie with only 3 keepers. Caught all of them in 10-16ft with crappie rigs and minnows. Water temp was 75 in morn and 79 when I quit at 12:30. Only saw 2 other fishing boats on the lake.
Have been crappie fishing Berlin a lot with very little results. Altough have been catching a "lot" of channel cats using same method. Most of them are running on the small side. Hope this helps. Wilyc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts